• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Window Regulator

For a while now ive been tolerating my passenger side window being very difficult to roll up. It rolls down with ease but getting it up takes 2 hands cranking on that handle. At first i thought maybe its just the rollers. So today i took the regulator out of the door and sure enough, 2 of the 3 rollers will not spin with ease, so obviously need to be replaced.

But as i was playing with the regulator i noticed it was still quite difficult to turn the handle one way. almost as if the spring is too tight or something. my drivers side window rolls up and down with ease. is this something that can be fixed or should i just toss it and get a new one?

My experience is that is almost always caused by bent scissors and/or regulator. They aren't expensive, but this is not a place where you want to "cheap out". Get the Scott Drake replacements. NPD sells them. The other regulators and scissors are total dog crap, and need modifications to even mount them.

I put the Scott Drake ones in AzPete's '66, replacing the one year old crappo Taiwanese junk I put in the first time. The Scott Drake ones are still working great today, years later.

Seems you were right on when you said bent scissors. i took them both out and put them side by side to compare and regulator that was working smoothly had more of a bend in one of its arms than the other one. so i bent the bad one to match the good one and put everything back together and good as new. rolls up very easily. now the only question is how did the bastard get bent inside the door?

"jonward786" said:
now the only question is how did the bastard get bent inside the door?

They're not that hard to bend them. If it gets dry, it can bend pretty easily. Glad you were able to fix it by bending it back. My son's '65 was too fubarred to be able to fix.

Back