• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Wiper motor

When I put my interior back together I never tested the wiper motor while it was out of the car, and now of course it doesn't work.
It is a 2 speed motor so I would like to see if I can get it working. The entire wire harness was replaced with a painless kit and the switch is new. What can I do to test the motor and see if it's good or bad.

I know the 2 speed motors are hard to find. Would it be better to just swap to a single speed? I don't drive this car in the rain but I want to get the wipers working just incase I ever need them.

Thanks for the help.

Sent via horse and buggy

I thought 65 & 66 had single speed. Maybe I just dont remember. I would take the extra step and find another 2 speed motor. Then again I installed a 2 speed motor in our 65 but also with intermitten features.

Tapayakin' from my iphone

According to the 66 Mustang Options - Early Mustang Page the 2speed was 12.95 option.

66 SAFETY EQUIPMENT
Electric Windshield Wipers, 2-Speed $ 12,95

There was a 2 speed option in 65 as well, in 64.5---I have refurbished 2 speeds for both years.

Midlife do you sell or repair these motors. I would love to get a working one from you if available. Thanks

Sent via horse and buggy

"Dennis66stang" said:
Midlife do you sell or repair these motors. I would love to get a working one from you if available. Thanks

Sent via horse and buggy
No motors, just wiring.

I checked all the wiring today and it all seems correct. I am going to pull the motor out tomorrow and check it out. I found a used motor on eBay for $75 so I went ahead and bought it. Should have it next week and I'll go from there.

Sent via horse and buggy

I received the new wiper motor today and it also isn't working. Is there a way to test these out of the car? Also there is a connection that I don't have a wire for. On the body of the motor there are the 2 connections for the green wires and there is another connection that is black. Is there a wire that should go to that?

When I have it hooked up and I turn the switch on the interior lights dim a little but I get no noise or action from the motor.

Thanks for the help

Sent via horse and buggy

pavy2yne.jpg

Sent via horse and buggy

I checked with a test light. I can put a volt meter to it tomorrow. The entire harness in the car is brand new from painless.

Sent via horse and buggy

Dennis,
Yes there is a way to test the motor before you install it. Post another pic of your newly acquired motor showing the whole motor, not just a close up.

I'm watching the 49er game so I can't step away tonight to help but will do so tomorrow.

go niners!

Craig

I think I saw one of those in my stash of parts. Will chime back in a couple hours. Need to consume a few gallons of coffee first.

Yes, bench testing a wiper motor is pretty straight forward. Yes the motor needs to be grounded which looking at your pic is the single black wire. Keep in mind that if you find after we do a bench test to your motor that it works, you will need to look at your wiper switch.

Stay tuned.

My guinea pig
eberumy3.jpg

etaqava4.jpg

With thanks to Shannon (LastDeadLast) for doing a post on another forum back during 2010 regarding this exact issue, I am copying some of his text on how to test your motor. I just did it to mine and it worked perfectly. except I was not able to do a park test since I don't have a 66 wiper switch. Any mention of "TERMINAL" as mentioned below is assuming you have your switch involved. I did just the bench test to confirm the fast and slow speed.

TESTING CONNECTIONS

TO PARK: (using your switch)

B TERMINAL TO VOLTAGE SOURCE
C TERMINAL TO Blue AND Red
Yellow TO White
Black TO GROUND

TO OPERATE AT HIGH SPEED: (bench test)

Yellow TO VOLTAGE SOURCE
Blue TO White
Black TO GROUND
B AND C TERMINALS AND Red NO CONNECTION

TO OPERATE AT LOW SPEED: (bench test)