• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Wipers Park Vertically / Motor faulty?

sigtauenus

I seem to recall this topic on on another forum, and here I am with the same dang problem.

I took the whole think apart when I had the wiper motor/arms out and apparently put them back 180* out because I wanted to put in a new motor and not have to worry about this. I tried the wipers last night and first off, the linkage is backwards, the wipers park in the vertical when the switch is turned off. Fortunately I only pushed one wiper on far enough to test the system, not far enough to seat that little clip that makes them a pain to remove.

Then, I also seem to have a problem with the motor. On low speed the wipers move ok, on high speed they don't really move at all. I tried a spare switch and same results. Also, when the motor gets to each end of the sweep and the direction reverses, the lights dim (door was open). I have a new optima red top battery and have only had it on to test lights and what-not, not enough that I'd think I would have worn it down. I'll throw the trickle charger on tonight to top it off but I think there is an electrical issue or a problem with the new motor.

The old set-up worked fine, I probably should have left well enough alone.

Sam,

I'm unsure what's causing your issues, but I know I have an OE motor complete with arms salvaged off of a '67 that I parted out, heck, I'm pretty sure I have 2 complete assemblies. If worse comes to worse, next time you're driving by swing in and grab one of them.

Yes it sounds like you have the small arm that is fixed to the motor spindle on 180* off. I can't help on the motor issue itself though. Sorry.

"cmayna" said:
Yes it sounds like you have the small arm that is fixed to the motor spindle on 180* off. I can't help on the motor issue itself though. Sorry.

Same thoughts here.
Disconnect the small arm at the motor.
Let the motor rotate to its resting point, connect the small arm on the motor and position the wipers at their resting place.
Look out that when the motor starts , the wipers don't first go down at bit before they go upwards.In that case you are a bit ( one or two teeth) off.
Hope this will help you.

Thanks guys, I'll do that.

Dave, appreciate the offer. If I don't get it resolved I will indeed swing by next time.

Just as a precaution, I always watch the direction the wiper posts rotate after any work on them. If you put the arms on without first verifying they go correct, you could end up running the wipers down, across the cowl. One thing though, you will only do it once.

Funny. I just check Shag's wipers to make sure they are parking correctly and they are....whew. Thanks Sam for having the problem for I would never had checked mine and I was just getting ready to button up the dash with the new pad and panels.

Got the park issue fixed. Had to rotate the small arm at the motor 180*.

Motor still won't run with the switch in high speed. I turned the engine over with the starter and the lights dimmed for that too, although the starter did work fine. I've got the trickle charger on there now to ensure I have full power to the motor and will troubleshoot some more, but I'm not sure what the problem would be that the motor works fine in low but hesitates in high. The connection is a 4 wire connector so that should have a good contact there.

Anybody know how the switch works, does it reduce the voltage for low speed and give full voltage for high? If so, I should be able to test the motor with a jumper at the switch.

Does this help.....it is for a 65/66.

1965g.jpg

TESTING CONNECTIONS

TO PARK:

B TERMINAL TO VOLTAGE SOURCE
C TERMINAL TO Blue AND Red
Yellow TO White
Black TO GROUND

TO OPERATE AT HIGH SPEED:

Yellow TO VOLTAGE SOURCE
Blue TO White
Black TO GROUND
B AND C TERMINALS AND Red NO CONNECTION

TO OPERATE AT LOW SPEED:

Red AND Yellow TO VOLTAGE SOURCE
Blue TO White
Black TO GROUND
B AND C TERMINALS NO CONNECTION

If I remember correctly , you give power to a certain coil inside the motor.The wipermotor has 2 sets of coils ( they are connected in serie ) .
Thats why the motor has more then 2 wires coming out of it.
Could be that one coil is broken so you haven't the high speed.IMHO

Not sure if this helps, but on 69-70 two speed wiper motor, the blue and red leads are for speed. Can be tested by grounding motor and applying 12VDC to each.

I posted the park test in another thread but sounds like yours is parking correctly

Back