• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Wipers staying on

burnout289

My wiper switch is turning on the wipers just fine, and both speeds work. However, they won't stop until the car is turned off. After I start the car back up, the wipers stay off until the next time I touch the switch. As far as I know, the switch and wiring are all original.

There is also a lonely spade on the wiper motor body with no wire attached. No idea what goes there, my diagrams don't show this.

Is there any way to fix this issue short of a new switch? Those things START at about $70 and the solid state ones are almost double that.

Thanks!

What year? In 64.5-66, the two speed wipers typically have built-in washer pump lines, but there are rare exceptions. The typical empty spade leads are for the washer pump. If you could diagram your switch and connector, identifying what line appears to be empty, I can tell you what that line is for.

Now perhaps you have the 2015 variant of wiper switches that automatically swipe the windshield whenever there is water on the glass. Was it raining at the time?

Haha, thanks Mid. I'll have to double-check, but I've got a hunch it's slightly older than that.

This is a 67. I do happen to have a spare 68 instrument cluster with turn signal switch. I don't have my car at home, is there a way I can test this other switch for proper operation prior to installing it? I'm not sure if the plug is even the same.

As for that odd connector, I've run across loose wires, but not for a spade. I'll try for a pic, I might have already taken one...

Back