• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Won't start

Badass70

Ok so after installing the new pertronix ignitor I had it running off the battery.. Then i went to turn off the car and wouldn't turn off.. I replaced the solenoid but the car won't start now.. I get a loud buzzing noise then cycling through the key it goes to turn over but I only get the car to turn over once
Then no juice.. Anyone have this problem before? Is it the starter? Battery needs to be changed also but it just doesn't make sense.. Man problems one right after another suck

yeah thats what im starting with.. after about 3 hours of charging the battery with a tender it started no problem.. im gonna say the battery has alot to do with all this funky business.. :skul

I had the same problem last summer. Pulled my battery and starter and had them tested, changed the solenoid and nothing seemed to work.
In the end I think it was a loose wire. When I put everything back together for the second time it fired right up. Haven't had a problem since. :shrug

Check the ground straps : battery to engine engine to firewall and to be sure make a new strap : battery to framerail and framerail to trans
the starter solenoid needs to mount firmly against the aprons .It grounds by his mounting bolts.
IMHO.

Groundstrap are the most important things when it comes to electrical system .

Are you also running the Pertronix coil? You need to know if your coil has an internal resistor or not. Battery draw down is a common when many install these ignition systems on several applications because of the differences in coils and the resistor. After turning your ignition off... wait 10 minutes and not more and touch your coil to see if it is hot (i.e. generating heat).... a telltale sign you have an open circuit and drawing down the battery. I suggest reading the installation instructions carefully or calling Pertronix if this persists... keep the battery disconnected in the meantime.

Otherwise if no problems - then you are back to the prior discussions about bad grounds etc... It's important to understand the differences Pertronix ignitions have in circuitry on the the primary ignition vs. your prior presumably stock set up. They are very good units and reliable as hell once you get them set up to their specifications.

Back