• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Won't start

RustyRed

I got my wiring finished last weekend and the car started right up. I started it one time this past week for a few minutes to check the volts at my choke.

Yesterday, I had to take the ground strap on the back of the block off and then put it back on...long story but basically the ground strap was in the way.

Now it won't start. It cracks but just won't fire.

I was thinking it's possible my battery is weak? It's been pretty cold and the car has been sitting a lot of late.

Second idea is the bolt for my ground strap really won't tighten so much. I am going to run to the hardware store when I get a chance and try to find a bolt that fits better or probably a slightly larger self tapper and a star washer.

Can a poor connection on my ground strap keep the car from starting?

Midlife

Staff member
Donator
+1.

Also, ensure the main ground lead from the battery to the block is good and tight; you need a star washer there as well to cut through the paint on the block!

RustyRed

Thanks guys....I haven't been able to get to Ace Hardware today to look for Star washers and a new bolt due to a sick kiddo.

I was thinking though that it has to be the ground strap. It was starting fine and that is the only part of the electrical that I've screwed with. What surprises me is that it started the last two times, LOL! I just wasn't certain if a bad connection there would keep it from starting.

Midlife

Staff member
Donator
The actual ground path for the starter is through the starter case to the engine block, which is why I recommended examining the block ground. The engine ground to the firewall is mainly for the instruments and other gadgets; if your starter solenoid is working and is disengaging from the flywheel when you turn the key from CRANK, then that ground path is reasonably working. It's best, though, to include the engine to firewall path. Otherwise, the ground path for instruments is through the chassis, motor mounts, and then to the block/battery ground. The motor mounts are your weak link.

Mach1Rider

The engine cranks but won't start problem may be loss of voltage to coil while key in start position.

Check for loose or broken connection from "I" side of starter sol to coil + side.

Simple test is with key in ON position, jumper the starter sol from pos side to "S" post to crank engine over
and see if it starts. Yes? then loss of power to coil in start from key.