• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Work Began Today On My Trailer Driveway

Laurie S.

Staff member
Today, my cousin and supervisor (both architects) came to my house and did the grade measurements for my new driveway. I'm tired of paying $100+ a month to store my enclosed trailer, so they're helping me with my new house remodeling project. The current driveway will be widened to the property line (about 12 feet) and will be paved from the sidewalk to the backyard wall. The grade will have to be lowered about 2 feet, which also will fix the current drainage problems that cause part of the backyard to flood. They're also doing the prep work to change the garage drainage, which floods at the corner where Murphy is parked. When this stage is done, I'll be able to back my trailer in next to the house and still have room to park the truck in front of it, which will put it in shade most of the day. To protect the trailer, I'll have a locking gate put in front of it so it couldn't be towed out. I'd rather have a full enclosure, but it would be way too difficult to back the trailer into it.

Once this part is done, we're looking at putting a lift in the garage so I can double stack the Mustangs and have room for maybe a new one. It won't be a Garage Majal, but it will be nice when it's done!

Oh there is nothing like adding more driveway space to your home! And adding RV parking will increase the value of your home as well. That is like one of the very first things that we did to our home when we moved here over 18 years ago. I want to add some more driveway to our rental home at some point, but that is down the road a bit. fd

Next time when building my home, it ain't a house with an attached garage but a garage with an attached house.
My basement is about 300 square feet of which 80% is filled by mustang parts , a garage of 200 square feet , all for the mustang hobby and a driveway of 400 square feet that is mainly occupied with at least 2 cars.And sometimes , i still haven't enough space .

"B67FSTB" said:
Next time when building my home, it ain't a house with an attached garage but a garage with an attached house.
My basement is about 300 square feet of which 80% is filled by mustang parts , a garage of 200 square feet , all for the mustang hobby and a driveway of 400 square feet that is mainly occupied with at least 2 cars.And sometimes , i still haven't enough space .

My dad recently built a new house on 7 acres with two 2-car garages attached and another 2000 sq ft detached garage. The two attached garages are already full/allocated, and the detached garage is filling up fast. I was there this weekend and couldn't believe how small a 2000 sq ft garage is when you put in a couple disassembled cars, all their parts, tools, etc, etc.

No matter how much space you have to work with, its NEVER enough!!

"sigtauenus" said:
My dad recently built a new house on 7 acres with two 2-car garages attached and another 2000 sq ft detached garage. The two attached garages are already full/allocated, and the detached garage is filling up fast. I was there this weekend and couldn't believe how small a 2000 sq ft garage is when you put in a couple disassembled cars, all their parts, tools, etc, etc.

No matter how much space you have to work with, its NEVER enough!!

Yeh +1

Laurie, since you are pouring a new concrete drive, have you considered installing a flush mount anchor to enable you to chain and lock down your trailer? It would be as secure as a locked gate, since both locks remove the same. Although, the gate removes the temptation, since your trailer would be out of sight. You could also install both the anchor and the gate, for added security.

Here are a couple of links. They are pricey, but look relatively easy to fabricate, which I would be glad to do, if you provide the metal (since we are both in Tucson).

I like the simplicity of this bull ring anchor.
http://www.elitesecuritysupplies.com/gr ... lt_in.html
taurus_bullring_ground_anchor_system.jpg

This one is probably more bullet proof, but then it is only as strong as the lock/chain used.
http://www.yanchor.com/

888pix.gif

bike%20lock%202.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a neat idea. I'll ask my cousin about doing that and I'll let you know. My trailer will be visible from the street, although it will sit back a bit. My gate will only slow down someone from backing in and hooking up. I also have a cable lock on the wheels and a lock that prevents the hitch ball from going in the hitch. I figure the more you slow them down, the better chance you have of keeping your stuff.

No problem Laure, it looks like a fun simple welding project. An anchor lock would definitely simplify your security issues.

Back