• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Would this hurt my cooling system?

What would be the purpose of installing a temp sensor in the hose as compared to using the stock motor temp sending unit?

If you're running an aftermarket intake as well you should have a spot or two that you could put in another temp sending unit for an aftermarket gauge if that's what you are looking for. If memory serves me (it rarely does), even a factory small block manifold should have a capped off spot or two you could use.

If you are planning to install an after market gauge, why not use the stock sending unit spot and rewire to the new gauge?

It's for my temp switch for the electric fan I'm going to use. Cleveland's from what I read don't have coolant flowing through the intakes. But I could be wrong. In the path of coolant seems like an accurate reading for the temp sensor as they are usually in the radiator. I ended up finding an aluminum unit on eBay for a few bucks that is made for radiator pipes and temp sensors. Just going to have to drill the hole and tap out for my sensor.

Do your 351 have an area in the thermostat housing for a temp sensor? Or are you running a heater hose bypass setup? If so, maybe you could T off of that to make it work.

Just out of curiosity, where is the factory temp sensor mounted on a 351 if not in your intake?

It really doesn't matter where you pull that temp from as it is simply reference data. Whatever location you chose will hold a relatively constant relationship to the temps anywhere else you would measure them. You just need a temp source to use to signal your fan controller. With it, you direct when the fan would turn on/step up the speed etc. If one location is 20 degrees different than another it doesn't matter in terms of getting your fan function right to keep things in the right operating range. Me, I'd opt to put that sensor somewhere out of sight to keep things as clean under hood as possible.

If you are still going with the piece of pipe in the upper hose does the alum. one from ebay look like the copper one you posted? There needs to be a nipple on each end otherwise the hose will just blow off and you'll know you're going to be running hot before the gauge reacts when you see the smoke from the coolant hitting the exhaust. Maybe someone can post a pic of a standard sending unit location in a 351C or you can post a pic of your intake with the air cleaner off in case it's different.
Jon

Here is the Link to what I bought: http://www.ebay.com/itm/290704756127?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I haven't hooked up the stock temp sensor. I was going to mount it in the big plug in the water pump. I got this piece because I need to drill and tap it to an M14x1.5 so it should work perfectly and I got the 40mm instead of the 38mm so the hoses would really sit on this piece. A rubber hose is a few bucks like this piece. I can always relocate the sensor and check things up if I need to. But this seems like the best option right now as I couldn't find an adapter to any of the spots I was going to put it. With adapters and spacing, it was just getting tight in spots any way. I can hang the sensor towards the ground and so all you would see is a little blue in the pipe ideally. I need to make sure this setup is going to work before I spend to much time and money hunting down adapters, taps, etc. I think it made perfect sense. Since the car is not a show car, right now my focus is on function over beatuifcation at this point. I think the aluminum will hold up for now and I think the sensor will get a good constant feed back right in the house coming out of the engine.

"68angrypony" said:
Here is the Link to what I bought: http://www.ebay.com/itm/290704756127?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I think the aluminum will hold up for now and I think the sensor will get a good constant feed back right in the house coming out of the engine.

Ok, that ones much better as it is flared/ nippled to retain the hose. You may want to mount it closer to the Tstat housing so it's not hanging out at the middle of the hose.
I think you need to fix the house coming out of your engine first :char
Jon

I wasn't thinking too clearly about the temp sending unit location earlier. Here's a pic of it on my Cleveland. Threaded into the block near the thermostat housing.

WaterPumpHole.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
That looks about right. I was going to put the fan switch sensor there but I couldn't find an adapter. I was going to modify an elbow I already had, but then decided to go with top hose housing.

Here's another pic. Notice the plug on the water pump. If your pump has one, why not use it?

yrevama4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
"68angrypony" said:
It's for my temp switch for the electric fan I'm going to use. Cleveland's from what I read don't have coolant flowing through the intakes. But I could be wrong. In the path of coolant seems like an accurate reading for the temp sensor as they are usually in the radiator. I ended up finding an aluminum unit on eBay for a few bucks that is made for radiator pipes and temp sensors. Just going to have to drill the hole and tap out for my sensor.

If you decide to run the sensor between 2 pieces of hose you'll need to run a wire from the pipe to ground since most sensors operate off resistance to ground.

Robert

Back