• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

WTF Timing Pointer??

joesgt281

Where To Find....
a small block Ford timing pointer for the 10 o'clock position?
I don't want to pay $69 plus shipping for a billet adjustable one, I just want a stamped steel cheapo like Ford used originally.
I understand that ford made them at the 10, 11, and 2 o'clock position.
To source one, what would this have been original equipment on?

Well I don't understand. I see one from Npd for $7.95 on page 113 #6023-1a. That wont work for you?

Attachments

• dennis and his convertible.jpg
    660.2 KB · Views: 114
Darreld I believe the 2 o'clock pointer is pre-70 motors since the lower radiator hose was on the drivers side. Anyone care to verify?

"oateater" said:
Well I don't understand. I see one from Npd for $7.95 on page 113 #6023-1a. That wont work for you?

Thanks Oateater.
How can I tell if that's one for the 10 o'clock position and not the 11 or 2?

"joesgt281" said:
Thanks Oateater.
How can I tell if that's one for the 10 o'clock position and not the 11 or 2?

That looks like mine and it's at 2.

I have one of those newer 302 ones with the peep hole in it somewhere around here. Is that the one you need?

"Sluggo" said:

I have one of those newer 302 ones with the peep hole in it somewhere around here. Is that the one you need?

Actually that's what I have, and it's at the 11 o'clock position.
The rest of the story is that my 94 has a Fluidamper balancer that has marks for the 10 o'clock position.
I can't (won't) tell you how much time I wasted till I figured out I have the wrong pointer for it :roul

Why don't you just get the tape that wraps the entire damper with timing marks, setting the tape for your 11 position when the engine is at TDC?

"Sluggo" said:

Sluggo is correct. that pointer is for the 2 o'clock position. I have one installed on mine and verfied.

Attachments

• dennis and his convertible.jpg
    660.2 KB · Views: 76
"Midlife" said:
Why don't you just get the tape that wraps the entire damper with timing marks, setting the tape for your 11 position when the engine is at TDC?

This will likely be what I end up doing, but the reason I didn't go down that road initially is that Fluidamper makes an odd-ball diameter damper...6-5/8".
NOBODY makes a timing tape for that diameter.
You can see from this pic that diameter definitely makes a difference.
But I can get a 6-1/2 or 6-3/4 and get close enough, so that's what I'll probably do.
121-8985.jpg

Call Fluidamper and ask them what year/size engine that damper was made for. My chinese Professional Products has 3 different sets of timing on it, I'm amazed that a more expensive brand wouldn't either. Once they tell you what year that damper was made for, you have the motor you need to get the pointer from. So easy a caveman can do it :roll

:nut :kburn

hell I forgot about that!! LOL. They weren't the manufacturer so they really didn't know any differences in the timing pointers through the years. That was a cheap chrome one and I ended up returning it to them and they upgraded me to the one I have. The black Pro Products one they sent me worked. Hopefully Fluidamper would be more helpful than what I got from Maddog Racing (a distributor)

LOL yeah i cracked up when I found that just doing a random search.
Fluidamper was nice enough to send me a couple of emails on it, but I'm really just on my own to get the 10 o'clock pointer.
I think I've found one, but if it doesn't work, I'll go the tape route.

Like you, I use the Professional Products balancer on my 67 with a 351. It's a very nice piece, and as you mentioned, has multiple sets of timing marks for all of the various pointer locations. Really surprises me that Fluidamper didn't do that (at least they didn't when this damper was new).

So Fluidamper doesn't have a "Fits 70-95 351w, 70-93 302" or something like that which gives you an idea what engine it was made for? I'm amazed if they don't have any idea what it fits. What part number is your damper?

Also, is it a 28oz or 50oz?

A post on Stangnet: http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/ ... ation.html

There are three pointer locations on SBF engines: 10 o'clock, 11 o'clock and 2 o'clock. They correspond to C-, B- & A-key positions, respectively. Your harmonic damper & pointer should be purchased with the same key. You probably have an A-key damper for early motor/front cover, but a B or C pointer, which is what are offered in billet from Ford Racing. Have you checked your damper to see if it has more than one keyway?

I'm finding some of the late model 1990ish 5.0L guys talking about 10 o'clock timing positions. http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/5 ... r-use.html
and then I found this with a part number: http://www.mustanggt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=32324

It might be worth a shot to stop by your local Ford parts department and see if they have any pointers in stock to compare

Thanks for the links...obviously lots of confusion out there on this.
Fluidampers full description of this damper is as follows:
4 bolt standard Ford pulley bot pattern. Pulley spacers may be required on some 1975 & later engines. Custom pully's may be required on 1969 & earlier engines. Not recommended for 302 HO '82 and up.
Externally Balanced 28oz. Counterweight
Not real specific as to the application. More describes what it doesn't work on, LOL

Saleen used the 94+ Lightning 351s in the S351s and they are all 28 oz.
I've pulled the balancer to address a timing cover oil leak and it's got only one keyway on it.
I ordered a pointer from a junkyard who says it'll work, so I guess we'll see :part

Back