• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Xfinity cable Q's switch from ATT

Jonk67

Well I've about had enuf of ATT, with their fastest DSL i still have a 150GB limit on WiFi that I'm exceeding, wife watches Netflix all the time. We use 4 TVs, can I get 2 boxes and run direct lines to the other 2 with splitters or Y's? I understand the 2 TVs would be on same cable channel, that's OK 2nd TV is usually watching DVD or Netflix etc.

Anyone dislike xfinity? Dropping home phone when I switch as I have Ooma in place. ATT WiFi speed is horrible also. Uverse $ is rediculous and I don't like the service I get now from them.
Thx Jon

I cant say enough good things about Comcast internet or TV. I've tried all the other services in my area and Comcast destroys all with quality and reliability. Downside is cost. I have their triple-play set-up with pretty much every channel they carry it costs me $240 a month. I got their phone included simply to get an overall better price. I don't think we ever use the "house" phone anymore. That's with their fastest internet set-up too. List price for what I have is much more around here but I bitched a bit and got quite a bit off my bill for a couple year term. Then I'll bitch again :)

Thanks I'm looking at their 2yr special $80 internet @50mbps and 140 channel pkg just2 services. Still have 4 cell phones w/ATT until contract ends and own all but 1 of the phones.

Can't answer the wiring questions, as it's been ages since we had more that one tv on cable and I can't remember. We have direct tv for cable, xfinity for internet. We hated the xfinity cable. The dvr was pathetic compared to other providers. Not user friendly, dated menu screens, limited options. So we dumped the tv, kept the high speed. Now, here's where they pissed me off. Back in late November/early December, we had an ice storm that brought a limb down on our cable run. It didn't knock out service, but the cable was detached from the house and pole, and hanging a foot off the ground. I called to get it fixed and they said they would send a tech within 2 weeks due to storm damage across the area. Two weeks pass and no tech. I call again, they say they never scheduled a call and make another ticket. No tech again. I called multiple times and a tech finally came out....in March. He runs a new line and everything is fine, so we thought.
I noticed that our internet slowed down to a crawl when my wife was off for the summer. I run a speed check at different times throughout the day and evening, from different devices. All show a max of 7 mbps down, 1mbps up. I'm paying for 20 down and work from home, so I need the bandwidth and the slowdown was disconnecting my vpn. Call them and they send a tech. They check the signal and it's perfect. Change the modem to on of their gateways(which suck, more on that later, same thing. End up being an account issue. Seems they put a retainer on my account because of multiple service calls, the ones where they never sent anyone out. They capped my speed and continued to charge me $30 more than I should have been. The tech gets that sorted and now I'm pulling 25 down, 5-6up for $20 a month. I call them after the tech left to find out why my account was locked, but they interestingly had no record of it all of a sudden. Whatever.
As for the gateway, do yourself a favor and buy your own modem and router. Save yourself from the monthly rental charges and horrid WiFi signal. It could barely reach out of the room. Nowhere near the range of my linksys router.
In the end, I have Comcast because I have no other options in my area.

We've had Comcast / xfinity for at least 20 years. Service outage are minimal, internet performance is very good. One line comes in and then I believe they split it for internet on one leg, and TV on the other... The single internet line goes directly the broadband router, then behind the router is our home router / wifi and my work router. For the TV line, there is an amplifier, and then multiple splits (6-7) in our basement going to various TVs in our house. One 2 digital boxes, 4 digital converters on the other TVs (basic cable). No DVR but the kids use Netflix quite a bit. No complaints here...(except cost)

Comcast recently upgraded all their boxes and cable interface. The DVRs rock. They are all connected in the house so that you can record and watch from one TV to the next. The on screen navigation now is awesome. The on demand features and library are really extensive. I ran a speed test the other day and was at almost 75 download speed. Crazy fast. I suppose that varies by location so don't know what your area would be like.

I've got FIOS. 75 MB up and down, phone and tv for 220 per month.

I am considering upgrading to their new DVR, up to 12 channels at once...

Well I've about had enuf of ATT, with their fastest DSL i still have a 150GB limit on WiFi that I'm exceeding, wife watches Netflix all the time. We use 4 TVs, can I get 2 boxes and run direct lines to the other 2 with splitters or Y's? I understand the 2 TVs would be on same cable channel, that's OK 2nd TV is usually watching DVD or Netflix etc.

Anyone dislike xfinity? Dropping home phone when I switch as I have Ooma in place. ATT WiFi speed is horrible also. Uverse $ is rediculous and I don't like the service I get now from them.
Thx Jon

I have been with Comcast (Xfinity) for a while now with fast Broadband internet and the bare minimum on TV. The service is reliable, fast, and customer service is responsive. My experience with Uverse was aborted after a difficult 2 week trial due to the fact that none of the many pleasant service technicians making daily visits to my house couldn't get it to work reliably (The gateway would lock up after less than 10 minutes requiring numerous hard boots of every damn ATT box in the house). They tried very hard to figure it out rewiring my whole house and replacing all the equipment multiple times but in the end the solution was elusive. At one point they brought a mobile generator and bypassed my utility power and concluded the reason their gateway was spazzing out was due to dirty power to my house. I had my electrician come out to check out the electrical power coming into my house......no problems at my end and everything else including the Comcast modem worked fine. I finally gave ATT an ultimatum to get it up by the end of the week or come get it, I'm done. Needless to say I am still a Comcast customer.

Good comments, Jeff my parents had trouble with their Uverse for weeks which makes me, leary and its more costly AND my ATT experience to this point hasn't been great. I don't need 500 channels, I have less than basic now so anything more will be an upgrade for the wife& daughter. I've never had DVR either, I watch AMC mostly like Breaking Bad, walking dead etc.

Wish Comcast would upgrade in my area. I am near the end of a run and internet is about half of what it should be. Both phone and internet is out too often. They told me that putting a booster in was out of the question. I am considering switching to something else.

Back