• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Year by Year Differences in Classic Mustangs

tarafied1

The classic Mustangs are usually grouped by the years. The 65/66, 67/68, 69/70, 71-73 and so on. For each group of Mustangs they share the body design but are actually very different in a lot of little ways. Since the StangFix is where people come for info, I thought it would be neat to compare some of these differences. I have discovered a few of these differences over the years and will kick it off with what I know (or think I know) about the 67 vs 68:
67 68
Exterior

no side marker lights first year for side marker lights/reflectors
only year for louver/grill in rear quarter panel inset quarter panel inset smooth like 65/66
grill has 66 like side bars and deep casting no side bar in grill, ring around corral, flat emblems
"FORD" letters on hood like 65/66 no “FORD� letters on hood
“MUSTANG� on fenders in block letters “Mustang� in cursive on fenders
289 and 390 V8 options first year for 302 and 428 V8 options
Only year for GTA (GT w/auto trans) GT with auto trans was called a GT
early 67's still had bag for washer fluid 68 had plastic washer fluid tank
gas cap used 3 bar and running horse emblem gas cap used horse and corral emblem (like grill)
tail light trim all chrome tail light rim has black "ring" in the groove

Interior (safety and style changes)
67 only Padded Horn button (center) 3 bar style wheel single cross bar style steering wheel
Roof mounted rear view mirror rear view mirror glued to windshield
window cranks and door handles hard chrome fold down door handle and plastic window crank-knobs
padded A pillar and dash above glove box no padding on A-pillar or above glove box
standard gauges in instrument panel combined Oil and amps standard gauges traded fuel and oil pressure, combined fuel and amps
heater control knobs stuck out (protruded from dash) flat design heater control knobs
no shoulder harness (lap belts only) first year for shoulder harness seat belts in front
no safety latch on front seats safety latch on front seats
67 used a 66 style front seat 68 had new version of front seat with optional head rest
door lock knob large diameter new design door lock knob
SS “chrome� ring around door lock knob plastic ring around door lock knob
red was an interior color option red was replaced with maroon
console had no padding floor console was padded
Dash was “camera� finish or optional “brushed� aluminum woodgrain was added as option
67 glove box insert/liner has grain all the way across 68 glove box has smooth area for the tire pressure decal

Other stuff
parking lights went out when headlights came on parking lights stay on when headlights come on(?)
Strut rods straight like 65 & 66 (not interchangeable however) Strut rods changed to casttle nut and cotter key and have a “bend�
link to more detail on strut rods --->http://www.stangfix.com/testforum/index.php/topic,8043.0/topicseen.html
cast door hinges stamped steel door hinges
FB trunk had torsion bar spring FB trunk had coil type spring
Floor console had no padding floor console was padded
Dash was “cameraâ€� finish or optional “brushedâ€� aluminum woodgrain was added as option​
early 67's were the last to use "Spear-O-Matic" steering gearbox first year for collapsible steering column
67 used 66 style 4 piston KH discs 68 had single piston discs with the bracket cast into the spindle.
many (if not all) 67's have torque box on drivers side only 68 have torque boxes on both sides
67 vent window latches are unique 68 vent windows and latches do not interchange with 67
67 have unique motor mounts 68 motor mounts are different than 67

I’m sure this is not everything and I expect to be corrected on a few things even but it’s a start. I will try to update and add picture examples over time.

**edit - as I get new info I'll add it to this post to keep it all in one **

Thanks Rick, I'll add that and I almost forgot about the spear-o-matic vs rag joint steering gear boxes.

Strut rods, don't know the difference but 67 is different from 66 and 68 was a new design as well different from 67.

67 used 66 style 4 piston KH discs, 68 had single piston discs with the bracket cast into the spindle.

68 glove box has smooth area for the tire pressure decal, 67 glove box has grain all the way across.

I'm pretty sure the parking lights go out with the headlights on in 68, at least mine do.

"Fast68back" said:
67 first year with a single torque box, '68 first with two, other than convertibles, correct?
That seams to be random, I've seen 67's with one and two

"sigtauenus" said:
Strut rods, don't know the difference but 67 is different from 66 and 68 was a new design as well different from 67.

67 used 66 style 4 piston KH discs, 68 had single piston discs with the bracket cast into the spindle.

68 glove box has smooth area for the tire pressure decal, 67 glove box has grain all the way across.

I'm pretty sure the parking lights go out with the headlights on in 68, at least mine do.
Thanks, I'll update with this (although I did have the strut rod part already)

Ok, I'll attempt to take on the '65/'66, but I'm going to limit it to non-GT cars, as there is really so many rolling changes in the "1964.5" and the rest of the 1965 alone.
65 66
Exterior Exterior
Qtr. panel ornament (available for coupes & Qtr. panel ornament (available for coupes &
convertibles only) is a strip using 3-bolts. convertibles only) is a 6-bolt
"fingers" ornament.
Grill has has octagon openings Grill has has rectangular openings
Horse & Corral in grill uses side bars. Horse & Corral in grill uses no side bars unless
with Fog lights.
Gas cap is black center with horse and tri-bar Gas cap is brushed alum. with horse and
tri-bar
Early cars had windshield wiper bezels on the Had no windshield wiper bezels on the top of
top of cowel cowel (Just like the later '65)
260 v8 available until the 289 is released 289 is only v8 option available (other than 289
Hipo)
Back up lights optional Back up lights standard

Interior Interior
Window cranks and door handles held on w/clip Window cranks and door handles held on with
screws
Glove box door is curved Glove box door is straight and
non-interchangeable with '65
Wide sweeping speedometer face, mostly Standard 5 gauges - Fuel, Oil Pressure,
idiot lights used Speedometer, Amp, and water temp

Early cars used 3 wire, 2 speed heater blower 2 wire, 3 speed heater blower, same as mid '65
Rear seat belts optional Rear seat belts mandatory
Seats had vertical stripe pattern Seats had horizontal stripe pattern

I'll start the 69/70. Anyone please feel free to clarify, correct me and add anything.

1969 1970

Rear quarter panel "scoop" louvers No quarter panel louver
Ignition key in Dash Ignition key in column
4 front headlights/grille difference 2 front headlights/grill difference
Plain headlight buckets Ornate headlight buckets with 2 horizontal indentions
L/R Front Turn signal indicators in the lower valance L/R Front Turn signal indicators in the front fender
3 individual brake lights on each side 1 large bezel for brake lights

69 vs. 70

Rear marker lights are different
Front fender splash shields...not sure about the rear ones
Trunk lids have emblems in 69
Sportroof trunk lids have holes for wing support brackets in 70
Deluxe door panels differ
Bucket seat back release lever is located in different spots
Wings were reinforced in 70 to reduce sag in the middle
I think the remote mirror knob was different(?)
Disk brake spindles were more heavy duty in 70
Disk brake proportioning valve was integrated with distribution block in 70
Not 100% sure, but I think there may have been a slight change in the clutch pedal
The gauge cluster bezel differs slightly due to the ignition switch being integrated in the steering column
Pressure relief vents added under door latch striker in 70
Bolt-in door glass in 70
Metal door tag replaced with a sticker
69 console has seat belt holder
Hood pins are completely different styles
Radiator inlet/outlet arrangement changed

There are just so many differences!

69 has a gauge feed harness and plug into the main harness in the engine compartment; 70 has a very long integral engine compartment harness that feeds the starter solenoid and alternator.

70 has seat belt buzzer standard.

Cool. Good inputs.

Will we tend to compile these under one big list at some point? Like I cut & paste your guy's info into mine, etc?

"70_Fastback" said:
Cool. Good inputs.

Will we tend to compile these under one big list at some point? Like I cut & paste your guy's info into mine, etc?
yeah, when we get a pretty complete list of each model, we can make a sticky with no posts so it's just info (or something to that effect...)

65 to 66:

I'll add
  • change in hub caps and trim rings on styled steel wheel
  • rocker panel moldings became standard (except for the GT)
  • hood lip molding became standard (previously only on the 65 GT)
  • minor change in gas cap design while GT received its own cap
  • warranty plate was slightly downsized
  • dash pad revised slightly
  • padded sun visors
  • all seat belts were color-keyed
  • all engines painted dark blue, including valve covers and air cleaners
  • smog equipment
  • 289-2V & 4V valve train changes
  • radiator capacity upgraded

64.5:
Exterior
Hood has lips above headlight buckets on some/early cars.
Most have matching notched healight bucket for hood, some cars had one standard 65/66 bucket mixed with a 64.5 bucket (later cars).
260V emblems for 260 CI V8 powered cars.
Gas cap has no retaining cable.
Tail lights have no black paint inbetween lights as the 65/66's do.
Quarter panel extensions on rear of car have no seals or provisions for seal cast into the extensions.

Under hood:
260V8 or 170 CI Straight 6
Horns not bolted to radiator support, large horns bolted to strut rod mounts.
Generator VS 65/66 Alternator
Power steering for A/C equipped cars has remote mounted resevoir, mounted to inner fender.
Radiator core support has 3 fins stamped into it for battery cooling.
Hinges/springs painted black.
260 painted black with blue valve covers.

Interior:
Carpet does not come up rockers, has vinyl fillers over rockers.
"A" on air vent control cable knob on drivers side.
Bottom of dash edge mounting holes for parking brake have small slots 65/66 have larger slots to aid adjustment.
Seat mount supports (welded to floor pans) have large oval hole in the middle 65/66 had solid seat supports.
Horn button and steering wheel have different setup for horn actuation than 65/66.
Turn signal switch is multiple bullet plugs rather than the 65/66 single plug assembly.
Different headlight switch for 64.5, different stalk for headlight switch.
Wiper switch unique for 64.5, single speed wipers.
Heater fan two speed.
Larger fuse panel than 65/66.
Gas and brake pedals have no stainless trim.
Seat Belts attach with eye bolts. Belts have two hooks that cross each other while wrapping around eye bolt. Plastic pin holds hooks together once installed over eye bolts.
No provisions in rear floor for rear seatbelts.
Brake switch for lights located underhood on master cylinder (65/66 located on brake pedal).
Trunk mat different than 65/66.
Trunk spare tire mount is a slot for a carriage bolt (early 65's has same mount) late 65/66 used hoop for a J bolt to secure tire.
Tire jack has different threads (think fine thread but can't recall for sure).
Brake lights have bullet plug pigtails rather than sockets.

Sure there are tons of other stuff but as Johnpro said, it is a mess to figure it all out.

69 VS. 70:

dont forget the different taillight panels. 69 curved & 70 flat.
also the black/chrome qtr panel emblems in 69 that look like small versions of the standard gas cap.

"SELLERSRODSHOP" said:
69 VS. 70:

dont forget the different taillight panels. 69 curved & 70 flat.
also the black/chrome qtr panel emblems in 69 that look like small versions of the standard gas cap.

Good ones. I forgot about the curved TL panel.

'67 and '68 vent window latch/locks differ and are not interchangable between the two years. The mounting hole for the latch on the '68 vent window glass changed such that when using a '67 latch it will not secure the window to the division bar.

Back