• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Year by Year Differences in Classic Mustangs

"daveSanborn" said:
'67 and '68 vent window latch/locks differ and are not interchangable between the two years. The mounting hole for the latch on the '68 vent window glass changed such that when using a '67 latch it will not secure the window to the division bar.

Clarify please. Are you saying if you use the 67 window glass with a 68 latch it won't hold the glass shut? I would assume if you use a 68 window glass with a 67 latch that you won't have enough room to close the latch, ie, it would hang up on the division bar and not slide over it.

The some of the connectors on the 67 under dash harness are different than the 68. You can not interchange them.

"sigtauenus" said:
Clarify please. Are you saying if you use the 67 window glass with a 68 latch it won't hold the glass shut? I would assume if you use a 68 window glass with a 67 latch that you won't have enough room to close the latch, ie, it would hang up on the division bar and not slide over it.

Crap.... the memories are sketchy. As I remember the holes in the vent window glass are drilled/cut in slightly different spots on the galss itself. With the hole in the glass being different it prevents you from interchanging the latch assemblies. The latches will physically attach to the glass in the same manner, they just won't latch with the frames division bar. I want to say (from memory) that the holes in the '67 vent window glass are further rearward than on the '68.

Either way, when shopping for '67/68 vent window glass/frame assemblies, be careful as most sellers are under the impression that the two model years are interchangable. This is not the case. You can't buy a set of '68 vent windows and install '67 latches. The '67 latch installed on a '68 glass will not allow the latch to lock the window in the closed position.

"rsalway" said:
IIRC...Not all 67's had the washer bags, the later ones had the plastic container.
yes you are right. I put "early 67's" because they changed during the production year.

Back