• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Yet another N00b

heySkippy

I guess I'm another migrant from VMF.

I bought a 68 coupe that had been majorly lowered with a pretty rowdy engine a couple months ago. It's got the look I want, but there's room for improvement and I'm working on that now.

IMG_4066.jpg

See'ya around.

I'm guessing tire rub might be one of the issues. Unless you don't make turns. lol Never seen one setting that low up front.

Welcome to the fix where coupes rule. Nice looking coupe. It is low but the stance looks great.

I dig the stance. Not sure of it practicality but it sure looks good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dig the stance. Not sure of it practicality but it sure looks good.

Thanks. It's practical enough for Cars & Coffee and I've been driving it to work on Fridays. The first couple weeks I had it I drove it more just to get a firm idea in my head of what I want to do with it.

To answer an earlier question, yes it rubs. It also takes a lot more muscle than I care to exert to turn the wheel at a stop. Just this week I think I've found a guy who specializes in old hot rods to improve the front end. I really don't want to raise it much, so compromises will be necessary. I'm not looking to make it more than a Friday/weekend car.

It's also too loud and the exhaust dumps in front of the rear axle. I've got a recommendation for another guy who might be able to make a quieter system that exits in front of the rear tires.

The engine is a 351W stroked to 393. It was built by an outfit called Hushmouthracing in NC but sadly I don't know much about the internals. It's got about as wild a cam as I'd care for on the street. It does idle and it doesn't overheat, two minimum prerequisites for a street rod. I've been getting about 7 MPG with it. The seller said it's a new Tremec 5 speed, but like the engine I don't have any documentation. 5th gear is crazy far away from 4th. 5th at 75 MPH is about 2000 RPM.

IMG_4081.jpg

I'm dying to take it to the drags, but it'll probably be August or September before I get a chance.

IMG_4076.jpg

A couple more pics.
DSC_1921.jpg

It must be Friday at work! :)
RowdyStang.jpg

I have to say, whoever built this car the way it is now had a particular vision in mind for the look and really nailed it.

yeah, they nailed it! It is sharp and sounds like a fun car to drive. I had my front end almost that low and I had a lot of issues doing long road trips so I had to raise it. Hope you can keep it like you want it. Below is a before and after of mine...
Breaking News.jpg 1457546_581779301889447_1106331657_n.jpg

yeah, they nailed it! It is sharp and sounds like a fun car to drive. I had my front end almost that low and I had a lot of issues doing long road trips so I had to raise it. Hope you can keep it like you want it.

Hello! I'd love to know about your front end. Also, are those side skirts exhaust? Is that custom or available as a kit?

Hello! I'd love to know about your front end. Also, are those side skirts exhaust? Is that custom or available as a kit?
I'll answer the easy part first. The side skirts are from https://www.maierracing.com/ as part of the "Eleanor" stuff. I did have to modify the rocker panels to get the exhaust to come out. It's after the torque box so no structural mods. I'll find some pics and add those.

The front suspension is Grab-A-Track upper and lower control arms. I have ORP roller perches and roller idler arm. The UCA as the Arning/Shelby drop. I have Granada spindles but that shouldn't matter. I had stock front coils with one coil cut off in the "low" pic. I changed them out for 600 lbs springs from ORP and cut half a coil off. I run the Grab-A-Track gas shocks. I am using the front-end alignment specs from ORP as well. I have EPAS but that was added only about two years ago. It was originally a PS car but with the 429 there was no room for the OEM stuff. I still have the 16:1 PS gearbox. It was a PITA to park but fine on the road. The EPAS was a huge plus to make the car more fun to drive. That's all I can think of. I did weld up all the seams on the shock towers and add the Boss 302 plates as well as an Export brace and I added the right side torque box, it didn't have one from the factory. I also have welded in sub-frame connectors.
IMG_3521.jpg Picture 344.jpg Picture 370.jpg

Welcome to the 67-8 coupe club.

I too have one. Doing front end work now.

Also welcome to the 5 gear clan! Got that too!

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Back