• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Zinc Additives - Motor Oil

dm289

My father in law is planning a trip next year across RT 66 in his flat tappet classic car and realizes that atleat 2 oil changes will be needed, since space is going to be at a premium he was wondering if people have had good luck with the additives versus using the high zinc oils? He currently runs Brad Penn oil, however can anybody reccomend a brand of additive which can be added to the oil found at any oil change place???

Thanks...

If he is using Brad Penn, why would he feel necessary to add more additive? I assume it is Brad Penn's racing oil?

I guess I better clear up my post... the car will start out with Brad Penn Oil, but its 2,000 + miles each way so it will need an oil change along the way, so instead of carrying a case of oil in the car he would rather carry a bottle of additive such that any oil change place could change the oil and he could just throw in the additive...

I've been using ZDDP from Eastwoods now for 3 years and haven't had any problems. I would recommend using that and any good motor oil and save a few bucks against the Brad Penn Oil, which is also hard to find. The bottle of ZDDP is smaller than a soda can.

Thanks... they are planning the trip and realizing that there isn't much room in a 37 Chevy for what they plan on being a 2 month road trip...

"cmayna" said:
No it's not. Very readily available nearby.
You live in a large metropolitan area. Where I am, it is very much hard to find in any of the local auto parts stores.

"cmayna" said:
No it's not. Very readily available nearby.

Where do you live??? Here in Cleveland Brad Penn is basically available at a few local machine shops and old school Auto Part Stores... My father in law is concerned about have trouble finding it when he needs it...

"dm289" said:
Where do you live??? Here in Cleveland Brad Penn is basically available at a few local machine shops and old school Auto Part Stores... My father in law is concerned about have trouble finding it when he needs it...

In my area, Summit Racing is the only place that has it.

"bravenrace" said:
In my area, Summit Racing is the only place that has it.

Per Brad Penn's dealer locator, using a 44101 zipcode:

1. Seme & Son
1320 East 260th St
Euclid, OH 44132
Frank Seme (216) 261-0066

2. Michael's Auto Parts
9566 N Bedford Rd
Macedonia, OH 44056
USA Mike (330) 467-3159

3. Western Reserve Lubricants
38001 Stevens Blvd
Willoughby, OH 44094
(440) 951-5700
wrlube@yahoo.com
Distributor

4. O'Reilly Auto Parts
4143 Center Road
Brunswick, OH 44212
330-273-1802

I've got the CompCams version for oil changes, keeping extra 2 on the shelf, I order 2 more as needed with my next summit order:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-159
CCA-159.jpg

If I were on a trip i'd probably just pick up the ZDDP stuff the parts store sells as mentioned previously.
Jon

Back