• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

10x2.5" Rear Brake Conversion

I remember this from a long time ago.

You did a great job in finding substitutes.

Do you think the 10x2 1/2 brakes are noticably better than the stocks drums?

btw, I have 10x2 1/2 brakes I put on 18 years ago.

I never had an objective means of quantifying the difference.

I think the real measure would be somebody taking the same car to the track with both size brakes and see what the stopping distance and time is from any given speed.

I will try and see if anyone replys being it been dead for so long. I have a 9" and I have measured the backing plate and it is a little over 11" across.Do I measure the brake pads across to see if they are the bigger 10by2.5 brakes.Thanks will post a picture or so.

P1080893.jpg

P1080799.jpg

How do you tell if its the big bearing or small bearing rearend.

TMK those are small bearing 9" backing plates and should be 10" shoes, I don't think they made 11" for the small bearing but not sure. I think you measure the shoe from end to end (top to bottom in your pic) to get the 10". The 'D' shape of the indentation is what tells me they're small 9" ends. Here's a pic of the large and small next to each other, see how the small is 'D' shaped:
9inchbigbearingvssmallbearing.jpg

You'd also be able to tell if you took the axle out as the big 9" bearing has a cone shaped bearing on it where the small doesn't:
9inchbigbearingvssmallbearingshafts.jpg

According to this site, where I got the pics from:
http://kevinstang.com/Ninecase.htm

The 11" came in 11"X2 1/4" most commonly on trucks and full size cars, the 10" came in 10X2", 2 1/4" and 2 1/2". I think the 11" only came on big blocks and the drums had 'fins' on the outside like front drums do where the 10" were smooth.

I installed a small bearing 9" in my '67 and it had 10" backing plates with 2 1/4" shoes TMR. I needed new drums for it anyway so I got 2 1/2" shoes. As I recall the Raybestos part # for the 2 1/4" and 2 1/2" shoe drums was the same so I guess the smaller shoes just didn't touch the entire width of the surface, saved them from making 2 different drums.

I figured the differnce between 11 X 2 1/4" and 10 X 2 1/2" would be negligable and not worth the $$ to find 11" backing plates, springs and all the other parts that are probably different. The shoes would be 1" taller but 1/4" thinner all the way around. I don't remember my math well but if you multiply those measurements they come out w/in 1/4 sq. inch of each other I believe, am I doing that right? 11X2.25=24.75sq.in. and 10X2.5=25sq.in. so the smaller wider actually cover more area. I'm guessing the larger drum would have more cooling surface though?
Jon

Back