• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

1965 wiper switch removal

abrahamfh

Time for another edition of, :10 REMOVE THAT DANG SWITCH! :nk Oh yeah!

Now, its time to remove the wiper switch from the dash on Fred (once again, Fred is a 1965 Mustang). Just in case, as always, please disconnect the battery before you begin to do anything with the electrical. The following procedures are for Fred who is a 1965 Mustang, the steps may certainly vary from year to year and sometimes even within the model year.

The following photograph is just to demonstrate what we are dealing with here.

IMG_7705.jpg

On the switch knob you will find a screw that will unscrew easily using a 5/64 Allen wrench.

IMG_7722.jpg

Bingo Bango Bongo! You don't have to remove the screw all the way out, just enough for the knob to come off.

IMG_7733.jpg

This is where the process becomes a PITA. I was having some issues, so I decided to use some penetrating oil to help loosen the mood a little bit. Rumor has it that there is a specific tool to aid in the removal of the cylinder which will separate the bezel and the main body of the switch. Unfortunately I don't have such tool so I decided to get a little creative. I took a small flat head screwdriver(the kind you use to tighten the screws on your glasses), and one of my old nail sets. Spin the cylinder counter clockwise as you would do normally.

IMG_7742.jpg

Once you have removed the cylinder, you can reach behind the dash and remove the main body of the switch. This is what it looks like.

IMG_7744.jpg

This is the switch when put back together.

IMG_7747.jpg

I really hope this helps some folks that had really no idea how to do it and appreciate some visual help. Please feel free to let me know if there is a better more efficient way to accomplish this procedure and we can make modifications to the thread. Thanks

As an FYI.....a pair of long needle nose pliers will work great to remove and install the cylinder from the center of the bezel. Just place a point in opposite slots and keep a gentle push and rotate.

Back