• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

1967 FB Mustang EPAS

67stang

1967 FB 351w 5 speed (no headers) still have shock towers.

Has anyone installed a Saturn VUE EPAS and manual rack and pinion?

Any pros and cons?? Issues?

Or is it better not to install the rack!

b37d6bf9705bbf8d03b8196122e23ffe.png
f7ffe3c48db7338899bd6bd9d3aa1920.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I have the EPAS on my 67, three years now. one of the Best upgrades I have done. But I don't have the R&P. I did help a friend put the R&P on his 67 but he doesn't have the EPAS. Should be a good combo though

One of the biggest knocks I have heard about with racks is loss of turn radius. Not sure if that goes on with the 67' or not. You can also run into geometry issues with some set-ups. While I don't have electric steering, I did go with the Borgeson power box which in many ways is the same thing in that it is a power assist to operate a manual gear box. There isn't anything wrong with a basic mustang steering system as originally designed other than it took a bit of muscle and a large wheel to work it. Add in an electric assist and what's the need for anything more? If I were building mine today I would go electric assist on stock style system.

I wonder if it’s worth it to put a R and P?
I agree with Terry, the original steering with a proper alignment and a good steering gearbox is perfectly fine. I had a PS car so mine has the 16:1 gearbox but I had removed the factory cylinder, pump and hoses. Of course that meant using the PS eliminator in the drag link. Anyway I drove it like that a long time and on the road it was fine but parking was a PITA. Also I needed the stock large steering wheel (smaller aftermarket would have been worse). I have ORP roller bearing spring perches and roller idler arm and the Arning drop as well as a performance alignment and I am quite happy with how it drives. The EPAS was a great upgrade for low speed driveablity.

I should add that I have a 502 based 429 in my 67 so bulky PS stuff was not an option. My dad has a 66 with a 306 (289 block with 302 crank and .030" over) and was a factory manual steering car. He added the Borgenson PS gearbox and I have driven it, it also is a nice upgrade from the factory PS and for sure nicer than the factory manual steering.

And I agree with Craig about the other steering component upgrades. The roller idler is a GREAT piece. I modified my Saginaw PS pump to cut its pressure considerably. The only reason I wanted PS was for low speed parking lot stuff. On the road I wanted old school "feel". Even at a crawl with low assist and a smaller steering wheel it turns with not much effort. What's nice about the electric system is you can really dial in the assist level MUCH easier (knob vs installing flow restriction in the pump).

yeah, that is pretty nice. I turn it all the way down for driving and just dial it up when parking. It even works when the engine is off

Fantastic points. You are right about the turn radius, on some racks, my friend has a mustang 2 rack/suspension kit and his turn radius is limited.

I have seen a handful of bits and pieces of people doing the epas using the Saturn set up. Do you know if anyone put together a good set of instruction?

Because I think I currently have a long shaft that my best bet is to buy a new box with a spline shaft and work my way up to the steering column?

Of course I need to finish my fans first. Lol.

3d3e6724a55b991c1119bf97d7ee5ec5.png

Okay now for the dumb question:

How do you get ride the the hydraulic pack?

Looks like in can use this?
fb9aea40f1fd05de83501e3527cfc0fe.png

Or can I do this. I would like to get ride of the entire hydraulic system.

32261d2236650ce7cb88d6bd70c4ad35.png

Back