• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

1967 FB Rear end and 5.0l engine

67stang

Anyone know if this is a 8 or 9 inch?

Also what are your thought on a 67 FB equipped with a late model fox body 5.0l HO FI, engine?

Pros
Cons
6b26a682c11db21949ac98a8f1044726.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you looking at the coyote 5.0 or a fox body era 5.0?

I'm running an 88 5.0 in my 70. I'm extremely happy with it. Fires right up Everytime. Not too complicated to drop in.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

I’m looking at another FB, and it has a 1990ish 5.0l. Seems nice. No gas smells. Lol

That's an 8" rear end.

Nothing wrong with a car with an "upgraded" engine set-up. I'd pay close attention though to how the work was done. I see a couple things going on in that picture that would concern me. The pump wiring should really be better done and protected for one. Buying a car that someone just dropped an engine into without much thought or care could become a real hassle with nagging problems.

Horseplay,

I sold my red FB. Long story. So I’m looking for another.

Here are a few more pics any thoughts. I know it’s dirty ( it’s out in a shop in the dessert). Lol.

35896b0a52104d9ffef2125b1c40a673.jpg
fafa026b3e1379ab931be1075387ef2c.jpg
9baba5d8227ea6102de14ff4bc522241.jpg
6e70a723283c33a4f30ea2eb73e21025.jpg

They spent some good money on that front suspension. That's all TCP (Total Control Products) stuff. Looks like they welded in some new floor pan pieces too. Looks pretty nice underneath. Seems to be a nice exhaust system. Magnaflow? I'd suggest some subframe connectors at some point.

I'd take a hard look at those fuel hoses. Never the best idea to run a hose the length of the car. Some are much better than others but a hard line is the correct way to go.

The car doesn't at all scream hack job. Front disc and rear drum? Hard to see in the pics. Take a good look at the brake lines and how they were done and run. Couple things there caught my eye. Nothing major but you want to be sure that it was done well by someone who knew what they were doing!

How's the body and interior?

Body and interior look really good. Paint is about 8 years old. No rust coming through the paint. Interior pretty standard stuff that was replaced 8 years ago. This is another 5 speed, but ac. I think I can do ac myself.

I will keep you guys posted. :). Can’t believe I sold my last one, after all that work I did to it. :(.

Here are a few more photos. Check out the cowl flaps. Interesting?? 99% sure I will be purchasing this beast on Sunday.

Any thoughts or suggestions other then the obvious corrosion, drives straight, vibrations, sheet metal, leaks, heating, under the dash, kick panels........

Also any suggestions on some modern day wheels. Lol.

2a5e6f212427e704af35d592adf9c569.jpg

1344b55f3bd3712d5a22670cc9ea3c75.jpg
b054a80985144325e32526b4d40abec7.jpg
a92e3ab2b752885673db2c5ec5fc93fc.jpg
eb33a3422aa36d356626ca2a20b7be13.jpg
1d43d60ce2f2bcc8d832add6674fb4a5.jpg

Looks like a really nice car...even with that "strange" cowl modification. For sure need to get wheels with the correct backspacing before those quarters get trashed. Chrome 5 spokes look good on it just maybe a set with some modern updating like 17" and lower profile tires. That lower glass seal sure looks like it has seen better days or is that just some sealer goop I'm seeing?

I will take a look at that seal. Last FB had to replace both front and rear seals.

So hard to find modern day wheels!!!
I definitely want 17x8 or 9 in the rear.

My last fb had 17x8 in the front, and it sure was close. Are 17x7 more acceptable for the fronts?

Seriously were can you find wheels, that will fit, but not what everyone else has?

Seems everything on CJ is what everyone has, Shelby, goose knuckle, all different 5 stars, mags...

Are those the only wheels that are available without spending over 500$ a rim? I have looked every where.

Last edited:
I like the look of fr500 but they don’t fit and really don’t want to cut them. I may have to though.

Last edited:
Wheels are an important element. I spent a LONG time seeking out what I had envisioned before stumbling on mine literally just before I was going to have something made custom. I am a big one for less is always more and letting the whole package come together rather than having a single element stand out alone. WAY TOO MANY people do something that is too much for their cars. Be cautious.

I've been trying to find just the right wheels for my truck project. Know what I want. It's going to be a version of a Bonneville Salt Flat racing wheel like the old kidney bean style. All the makers have some but most just don't do it. I was in Utah this week and finally found the time to go by Dave Kindig's place and wouldn't you know it he had a customer's car in his lobby with the closest thing I've seen yet. Of course they're $1,500 a wheel... the search goes on.

I think 7" is the right width up front. Some guys go with 8" but that is a lot of tire for the front and usually has rubbing issues. With a 7" and a 225 tire mine fills the hole and the upper lip sits a full 1.5" over tire. Not a issue at all with rubbing. I can't see any way to get that look with a wider rim. I DRIVE my car into corners hard too and have plenty of grip. No need for more rubber.

As Terry noted be careful with the width. Nice car.
Is that cowling mod jut a cover? Meaning does rain still get in.....drain okay?

I’m assuming it’s so rain/leaves can’t come straight in from above. But it is absolutely permanent and I hope it does drain. Lol. I will check

So hard to find good looking wheels:
Was thinking Going 17x9 in the rear
And 17x8 or 7 in front.

Any suggestions please let me know. Looking for a more modern look.

Last edited:
Back