• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

1967 Stang Build

jking

I'm a newbie to this forum and to the older mustangs. I have always had fox body cars. Any advice or comments are more than welcome.

It is a 67 I bought from a guy whose great-grandmother bought new. He was going to drive it when he turned 16 but there was alot of rust. Him and his father started in on it. They put new floor pans, cowl panel, half quarter and had it stripped down to bare metal. I was afraid of how it was done but after looking they done a nice job. It came with the original engine and tranny 289/c4 with like 68xxx miles on it I think. It has the blinker hood, black interior, a/c, and power steering. I have the original build sheet also. I started working on the quarter and the cowl and put the patch panel in (not too happy with needs quite a bit more work). I am now stripping the fenders, hood, doors, and decklid. I have taken the car out to the paint booth at our high school (I am 18 just graduated and was in an autobody class and my teacher said we could paint it there. I have done 2 overall paint jobs and many repair jobs so I'm kind of familiar with body work.)

I decided not to use the 289 I have plenty of 302s and had a block that had already been bored 30, bearings, etc. The tranny is getting gone through right now to determine if it needs a rebuild and a street shift kit installed. I have a mild lunati cam and a set of gt40P heads that just had a valve job and hot tanked. I have a set of BBK shorties for them (spark plug clearance issues with my other 2 sets). Crank has been turned and a new set of hyper pistons on the way.

I also have some House of Kolor paint on its way. I decided to go with a Tangerine with black stripes following the blinkers in the hood. I really wanted to go with the california special spoilered decklid and quarter extensions but that was a little pricey as I'm on a budget with saving for school and such.

I'm thinking about buying an interior kit from cjponyparts.com?
http://www.cjponyparts.com/interior-kit---standard-interior-1967/p/IK3/
There is a local guy that does a very nice job on reupholstery. I also have some dynamat to put under the carpet.
I bought a set of Keystone Classics but I'm not sure about them. I would love a set of chrome bullits or Torque Thrusts II's.

stangweb.jpg

stangweb10.jpg

web1.jpg

stangweb12.jpg

stangweb5.jpg

Headed to the paint booth!
06232010033.jpg

Began stripping the fenders.
06242010037.jpg

Fresh 306!!!
06242010049.jpg

Fresh GT40P Heads!
06242010048.jpg

06242010046.jpg

06242010045.jpg

06242010041.jpg

06242010040.jpg

I bought a spring kit special for the gt40p heads because of the different height valves.

Last edited by a moderator:
Been awhile since I have updated. I haven't had alot of time lately but heres where I'm at.

Crank in
07062010093.jpg

Rest of the rotating assembly
07072010094.jpg

Got the cam and timing chain lifters and heads on after checking ptv clearance and measuring pushrods
07262010147.jpg

07262010149.jpg

Tranny getting rebuilt
07222010139.jpg

07222010138.jpg

Painted a fan lol because I wanted to see how the color looked. It has grey sealer under it.
07252010142.jpg

07262010144.jpg

Anyone have any snap rings for the pump in the tranny. I think that is what I need I don't have a clue about transmissions other than take them to someone haha.

I will finish putting the motor together after I take it to the machine shop again because I didn't see I had a broken bolt in the water pump and I broke an EZ out off in it.

Next step is to finish the fenders then hood then doors...

I have a set of BBK shorties for them

If they're off a Fox car.... and as far as I know BBK doesn't make shorties for classic Mustangs.... they won't fit. The Fox style headers will interfere with the shock towers and the steering gearbox.

Hmm not good to hear. Well if worst comes to worst my girlfriends dad is a muffler man so I'll con him into making me a set lol

"jking" said:
Hmm not good to hear. Well if worst comes to worst my girlfriends dad is a muffler man so I'll con him into making me a set lol

Dude - while you at it - con him into making a set of zoomies for a big block 460!

And I can't wait to see the color sprayed on the car.

And as far as CJ pony parts - see my review in the vendors section here.

Got alittle done today. I got the broken bolt out, oil pan on, broke the engine hoist, fixed the engine hoist, painted another fan haha, and sit in the ac for awhile because it was super hot. I have tomorrow off and am headed to the paint booth at 8:00 to see if I can't get it in primer by the end of the day. I'll post pictures up tomorrow evening.

I'll see what he says you might have to walk into his shop with a case of beer and tell him you have a project for him haha. (Tip: He's a busch light man)

After reading your build thread I realized I won't get shunned for posting this now :lol

A couple weeks ago I pulled out a 40 Chev! It is very solid. I am unsure of what I will be doing with it...restoration or rat rod but that is to come after the stang. I couldn't pass it up great price and about 1/2 a mile from my house!

07122010107.jpg

07122010110.jpg

07122010114.jpg

07122010117.jpg

"jking" said:
After reading your build thread I realized I won't get shunned for posting this now :lol

A couple weeks ago I pulled out a 40 Chev! It is very solid. I am unsure of what I will be doing with it...restoration or rat rod but that is to come after the stang. I couldn't pass it up great price and about 1/2 a mile from my house!

07122010107.jpg

07122010110.jpg

07122010114.jpg

07122010117.jpg

Holy squirts! How much you give for it?

Want to sell those head lights...?

Got the timing chain cover on and thats about it on the engine.

I got another fan painted haha. I had alittle blue left over from a spray out so I used it. It is for a mechanic that lives here he is a big time racer. He has a 68 Nova called "StreetWalker"
07282010157.jpg
Partial picture. He is fast he runs like a 273 ci engine with a manual behind it. He does everything his self. His best I think is a 5.99 in the 1/8th. So I sprayed the fan and got stickers made with "StreetWalker" on it.

07292010162.jpg

Anyway back to mustangs/1940 trucks

I took the patch panel back out I didn't realize how bad it looked. Maybe could have fixed but I wanted to start over. I got about everything else done so when I get the patch panel taken care of I will be ready for primer!

We'll just say I paid about a 1/4 of what its worth. Didn't get a title with the sale but have one on its way should be here in like 2-3 weeks. Sorry man the headlights will be needed lol.

Back