• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

1968 style headrests in my 1967

ko67

Inspired by fast68back's fabulous midnight green beast, I installed a set of Distinctive Industries' headrests on my 1967 convertible. The vinyl is an exact match for my seats, as my seats are covered with DI covers. THe headrests attach to a heavy tubular steel bracket that bolts to existing holes in the top of the seat frames. The instructions are sparse, but adequate. I took a picture of a few of the basic tools needed for the job, as well as a view of the bracket being inserted into the top of the seat. If your seats are already covered, you do have to remove the hog rings from the top 1/2 or so of the seat cover to get at the frame. After that, it is simple if you are comfortable with hog ring pliers. It was a bit unnerving cutting holes in the top of the seat cover for the hard plastic mounting ferrules that lock and adjust the head rests, but the final result turned out OK. I took a pic of the installation before replacing the seat back, and once everything was done. They adjust up and down, as well as tilting forward. Comments?

Kev

Wow! good job! I always wondered how headrests are installed, now I know! A great upgrade!! :vic
dne'

Excellent write up, and thanks for the pictures, too. I will show this post to my daughter, when she comes home this weekend. She has the low back seats in her '67 still, and I would feel much better if she had some head rests.

Back