• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

1969 Super Stock Mustang

GPR

I bought my Q code CJ Mustang from Hubert Platt (member of the Ford Drag Team) in 1970. It was just a shell no drivetrain it had been a Boss 302 test car that Hubert saved from the crusher. July 1971 I spent a week converting it into a SS/GA race car. I tested it a few times than sanded the body and watched it being painted. This is how I learned how to paint.

This is how it looked in 1971

001.jpg

I still have it today I will post more pictures I need to go to work.

This should be interesting to follow for sure....

Welcome to our little place of the net.......

Some nice looking cars you have worked on there to. I just may have to find a reason to drive south one of these times.

The first NHRA race I went to was a points race in Miami where I received the best appearing car trophy

39.jpg

002.jpg

Turkey Trot in Gainesville 1971 where I ran to quick against Roger England's SS/DA Hemi. Next race was the Miami National Open which I won when I beat Roger England.

08-1.jpg

Not sure when these were taken in Gainesville but it was in 1971

81-1.jpg

80-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
very cool Rusty! I love the paint job. I'm building a 67 drag car and will have a similar look...
so it was a Boss 302? cool

"tarafied1" said:
very cool Rusty! I love the paint job. I'm building a 67 drag car and will have a similar look...
so it was a Boss 302? cool

It was one of 10 Cobra Jet bodies that were used as the Boss 302 test mules and were all crushed according to Donald Farr's Boss 302 book. It was built Oct 1968 and the quarters were stamped without scoops.

"GPR" said:
It was one of 10 Cobra Jet bodies that were used as the Boss 302 test mules and were all crushed according to Donald Farr's Boss 302 book. It was built Oct 1968 and the quarters were stamped without scoops.
that's really fascinating. Being a factory test car, does it have a VIN#?

With it's test mule history and then racing history, this car is worth more than my life :thu
Bill

"tarafied1" said:
that's really fascinating. Being a factory test car, does it have a VIN#?

Yes it does.

Other odd things is it was Gulfstream aqua with no Boss stripes had a steel front spoiler like the trans am cars had and holes in the deck lid for a wing.

Check out the bolt in shock mount

94.jpg

"Opentracker" said:
Hey Rusty, welcome to the forum. That is one cool car you have there.

How's the Fairlane coming along ?

I have most of the bodywork finished on the Fairlane and have the deck lid and hood painted SPI red.

266.jpg

276.jpg

Original seat covers

280.jpg

"mrbobby" said:
Hey Rusty, WHAT E.T. does your car run in 1/4 mile?

Back in 1974 I set the record at 11.26 and the next day ran 11.13 at 123

I ran it briefly as a bracket car and went 10.75 at 124 back in 2000.

At this time the engine is being rebuilt to race B/SA in IHRA and it should run in the high 10's.

Back