• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

1970 Mach 1 lower dash color & gloss

Mach1Mark

Ramrod extraordinaire
Donator
Im in the process of repainting my metal lower dash and Ive found the right shade of dark charcoal metallic but the first attempt with a spray card seems to be too glossy. Anyone who has a memory of what the surface looked like when new? Semi-gloss? Matte? Low gloss? I really appreciate your input.

Use 2 light mist coats over 1 coat of black primer, and it will look right. If you spray it too thick, it will be glossy.

Use 2 light mist coats over 1 coat of black primer, and it will look right. If you spray it too thick, it will be glossy.
Thanks, Randy. This is the same info Ive found talking with the guys on concoursmustang. I also understand the coats need to be light on camera case. What Im looking to learn is what was the original finish when the car was new?

Mark there is a fantastic build on 69Stang that may interest you. I consider it the bible for restoring 69s and 70s. He talks about painting the dash on pages 10, 21 and 30. There is a index to his build on page one.

Back