• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

1970 Mach OEM speaker wiring and fader?

miketyler

Am running all new wiring, anyone seen one of these before? Mid believes this is some sort of aftermarket fader. The way it is tied into the harness leads me to believe he is right.

Actually is OEM. I found the fader control in the 70 Mustang wiring manual, complete with speaker connectors and all. Whodathunk it?

Re: 1970 Mach OEM speaker wiring and fader?

That weird. Never seen that before.
But then again I have one speaker in my dash and that's it for the whole car, so I guess don't need one of those. Where was it mounted?

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Me neither and am not sure exacctly where it was mounted as it was already removed when I got the car.

After I looked more closely I am sure the wiring is OEM but am not sure that the fader control itself was swapped. If you have the 1970 wiring diagram manual its on the 4th from the last page entitled "1970 Mustang Tach and Radio" I now think this was for a mono AM car.

My Mach was a fixed rear seat car with "AM radio" and "Stereosonic tape" according to dealers invoice. It also had factory speaker wiring run under the door thresholds into the back, one on each side. Maybe for optional rear speakers? Some of this doesn't make sense to me.

I don't have any pictures of one mounted, but am pretty sure it was installed at the bottom of the lower dash (likely below ignition switch/cigar lighter). This was part of the rear speaker option from the factory from rough memory, and was definitely a fader. I'm not 100% sure if the stereosonic tape option included rear speakers. Here is a list of options for 1969: http://www.1969stang.com/pricelist.html

Charles Turner or others in the know may know the specifics of what option included what. From what I've found doing a search, the rear speaker option was only for coupes/grandes. The stereosonic option doesn't seem to be model specific, but the rear fader/speaker seems to go along with the stereosonic option.

Back