• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

1973 Mach 1 Rebuild

So I was thinking about the 1973 Mach 1 I am about to start restoring. I got it running a few weeks back but it hasn't ran since. The original Fuel pump went out after the initial start up. Ran amazing while it ran. But that's a story for a different set of forums. I was wondering if it would be better to paint a vehicle while its taken apart or while its put together?

Also I am going to have to do quite a bit of body work, such as new rear quarter skins, new tail light panel, probably inner and outer fender wells, new gas tank, new trunk floor and drop off pans. All due to rust. But Should i do this with the body taken off and on say a body rotisserie? or should I have it up on jack stands while i do it or what? And any words of advice, hints or tips for beginning body working and painting is all acceptable. Thank you.

I'd recommend you put it on a rotisserie and then secure it in whatever position you find most comfortable for the immediate work you're doing. I did Mid entirely on a lift, adjusting height to my convenience. I used the rotisserie only for painting the undercarriage. Jackstands will work, but don't give you the adjustability of a lift or rotisserie.

If i did it on a rotisserie should I put the brace bars you always see inside? to keep it from collapsing or something? I also need to do the floorpans, which will also be my first floor pan replacement. Any words of encouragement or tips?

Yeah...I should have mentioned that all structural work should be done before putting it up on the rotisserie. It's absolutely essential to do the main structural support repairs first, one small piece at a time to preserve the structural integrity of the vehicle. Even then, the car can deform. It's best to keep the doors latched to give a convertible more structure, but a fastback shouldn't be that bad. If it is, well, maybe it's time to tackle something else.

I supported Mid on the lift via the pinch welds, having hogged out 2x4's to accept the pinch weld. That way, the entire pinch weld supported the car, spreading the weight as evenly as possible. Fortunately, only the under-seat rails needed replacement. Oh...there was also a driver's side front frame rail and shock tower. I kept the export brace installed at all times to keep the car back in alignment.

"Midlife" said:
Yeah...I should have mentioned that all structural work should be done before putting it up on the rotisserie. It's absolutely essential to do the main structural support repairs first, one small piece at a time to preserve the structural integrity of the vehicle. Even then, the car can deform. It's best to keep the doors latched to give a convertible more structure, but a fastback shouldn't be that bad. If it is, well, maybe it's time to tackle something else.

I supported Mid on the lift via the pinch welds, having hogged out 2x4's to accept the pinch weld. That way, the entire pinch weld supported the car, spreading the weight as evenly as possible. Fortunately, only the under-seat rails needed replacement. Oh...there was also a driver's side front frame rail and shock tower. I kept the export brace installed at all times to keep the car back in alignment.

Define: main structural support?

Frame rails (front and back), radiator cross-support, seat rails, floor pan if too far gone, A pillars, firewall, shock towers all come to mind. While the body is a unibody structure, these components are those that if removed, can disrupt the ability to keep the car unibody structure aligned as it should.

In addition to the items Mid listed, add the cowl (works with the firewall), rockers and the roof. As a unibody, pretty much every major part is part of the frame.

Should the Items below be everything I need to rebuild the rear end of my Mach 1?

Rear End Quarter Panel Skins PAIR - 208.95
INNER WHEELHOUSE PAIR - 132.95
OUTER WHEELHOUSE PAIR - 138.95
Taillight Panel - 99.95
Trunk Floor - 109.95
Trunk Drop Off Left And Right - 12.95 Each
FUEL TANK KIT 1971-1973 - 163.95
(superiormustangparts.com) Filler Pipe - 39.95
Fuel Filler Pipe to Body gasket - 3.00

FULL FLOOR PAN - 430.95

FLOOR SUPPORT lh all 1971-1973 - 29.95
FLOOR SUPPORT rh all 1971-1973 - 29.95

Battery Tray Apron Kit - 69.95

"southern_boy" said:
Should the Items below be everything I need to rebuild the rear end of my Mach 1?

Rear End Quarter Panel Skins PAIR - 208.95
INNER WHEELHOUSE PAIR - 132.95
OUTER WHEELHOUSE PAIR - 138.95
Taillight Panel - 99.95
Trunk Floor - 109.95
Trunk Drop Off Left And Right - 12.95 Each
FUEL TANK KIT 1971-1973 - 163.95
(superiormustangparts.com) Filler Pipe - 39.95
Fuel Filler Pipe to Body gasket - 3.00

FULL FLOOR PAN - 430.95

FLOOR SUPPORT lh all 1971-1973 - 29.95
FLOOR SUPPORT rh all 1971-1973 - 29.95

Battery Tray Apron Kit - 69.95

It looks like a good start, but I don't see any frame rail pieces listed. Usually with the amount of metal you've listed there is some frame rail that needs replacing also.

Back