• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

1990 2.3 Cranks no Start

I picked up this rust free 2.3 for a drag car build. I've got another project in front of it, so its build start is on the backburner at the moment.

The guy I bought it from was swapping his Calypso 5.0 parts over before having title trouble. He said he's never attempted to start it.

Anyhow, wanted to see if it would start as it spun over freely and its pretty clean for being a 90. Atleast I could move it around the yard if so.

Threw a battery in it, and the starter skipped, and slow crank.. Pulled the starter to see the gear was broken.

Checked flywheel, good.

Put a new battery in it. Cranks, but no start.

Fuel pump whines on key. Fuel pressure at rail is 34 psi when key on.

Have spark from coil. Have spark to spark plugs.

Put new spark plugs in, as the old ones were dirty and old.

Injectors have pulse via noid.

Compression is at 175 on all 4 cyl.

No codes (I know they've been erased due to the new battery), but only shows 11.

Still no start. What am I missing? Where should I go?

I'm thinking the timing belt skipped. The marks don't align the way they are supposed to. Cam gear at TDC pointer faces straight down. All I've seen elsewhere is that its supposed to point towards the oil pump gear (or the see through window on the cover)
Plus the oil pump/distributor drive gear doesn't align with the #1 spark plug location either.

ordered a new timing belt from Rock auto. Well see what that brings later.
20201129_100014.jpg

Waiting on a new timing belt to show up. My understanding from the discrepancies in the manual is that the timing belt has jumped. Cam timing doesn't align with the crank timing.

In that photo above, the cam gear pointer should be pointed to around the 5 o clock postion, not 6 at TDC.

Back