• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

2 or 4 post lift for a garage.

68EFIvert

After looking at Dne' and her new lift I am thinking it is about time to look into one for myself. Well in the near future that is. My wife and I have started looking for a new house with a larger garage and yard than the one we are currently in. Once I have the house in place I will start (over time) putting together my workspace. We will likely end up with a 3 car garage and I will have the single bay for my projects. I will use the other part of the garage for benches, tool boxes, compressor.... the workshop are will be pretty clear. I started looking at different lifts but it looks like 2 and 4 post lifts have very different purposes/benefits.

4 post lifts seem like they would be more secure but limit access to some of the car because of the tracks. 2 post lifts don't seem as secure but look like it would be easier to work on the car.

What are you guys using and what are your recommendations? I don't mind changing the garage door opener to a wall mount unit if that makes a difference.

I have a 2 post asymmetric lift, and there are only two things I find difficult to do. The first is painting the underside; the supports cover up portions of the floor or pinch weld. The second is working vigorously on either end. Although the car has never, ever, come off the lift, it does rock a bit, and it is unnerving. I typically use a tranny hoist to secure one end to help reduce the rocking.

I have a four post lift. I love it but I use it as an extra parking spot.

It will all depend on how tall your ceilings are! If you have standard height you will not use it for parking and you should get a 2 post. If you have tall ceilings like I do and can use it to get another car in there, or like me I park the quads and lawnmower under it.

Mel

After more research and your guys help I think a 2 post will fill my needs better than the 4. I don't plan on using it for storage, more for working on the car and tire rotations. What brands do you guys use/recommend. I think an asymmetiric lift makes the most sense. It is nice not having to do a Dukes of Hazzard immitation when I exit the car. That could be a little tough on paint.

Stay with a name brand (preferably reputable!) just in case you need to repair the unit several years into the future. I bought a Bend-Pac.

Back