• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

2004 Mach 1

tarafied1

I haven’t been active on the Fix, sorry. Terry checked in and sparked me to post a bit. Some of you may recall my middle son built a DOHC 4.6 using an 05 Aviator engine and Cobra as well as Mach 1 parts for the 99 GT. Well all was well until the new Cloyes timing set had a failure. Anyway due to bent valves and the cost of parts and such it sat untouched for a while. In the meantime my MIL decided to get a newer vehicle so I offered to buy the Crown Vic for my son so I could get my 07 back ( he was driving it to work and school). So she agreed and wife and I went up to Illinois to get it. She had hit a pole in a parking lot and banged it up but it was fixable. Went to pull a part and got the stuff to fix it and my done loved it. So your wondering where the 04 Mach 1 fits in this story?
My son moved back home ( still in school and working but life stuff you know). So since he was saving a little money he got to looking at cars and found a 2004 Mach 1 that had a Terminator Cobra Super Charger added but had thrown a rod. It was 5 hours away but he wanted to go look at it. He negotiated a price and we took him to the bank. He got the money and we went with the trailer to go look at it it came home with us! So we took the bottom end we had built for the 99 and combine it with the supercharged top end from the blown up 4.6 and he had a Runner now. His 4.6 already had the forged rotating assembly and was still pretty fresh so it was s perfect short block. We put a Ford timing chain system in it this time. Pricy but I think it should hold up. He’s been driving it and tuning on it. It’s a pretty nice ride and he has about half what it books for invested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RapidRabbit

I remember that engine build. I was wondering if he every got fixed. Glad it's running again.

Car looks great.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Horseplay

I Don't Care. Do you?
Should have known you'd have been getting stuff done. Your boy ended up right where he wanted in the end, didn't he. Round about way to a blown 4.6 but boy are they fun.

tarafied1

I remember that engine build. I was wondering if he every got fixed. Glad it's running again.

Car looks great.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
thanks! he is stoked!
Should have known you'd have been getting stuff done. Your boy ended up right where he wanted in the end, didn't he. Round about way to a blown 4.6 but boy are they fun.
Yes he was trying to make the 99GT into a Mach and planned a supercharger (hence the forged bottom end). He couldn't be happier! It's got 100K on it and has been repainted at some point so it's not immaculate but it's pretty nice. He bought it from a guy who didn't know much about cars but liked it. He did get the previous owners info, the guy who originally swapped on the supercharger. After he got this car running he sold the 99 and all the leftover parts (well most of them anyway) to offset the costs. The guy who built it said it dyno'd at 425 to the wheels when he turned it. My son used his long tube headers and boosted the fuel system as well as put a smaller pulley on the blower so it should be a little more now. (I still smoked him with my 502 however!)
I do believe that will work. ( on numerous levels ) :cool:
it is a nice car!

Grabber70Mach

Nice to see you back around, I was just wondering what you were up to the other day. Nice looking car your son got, I can bet he enjoying it with the supercharger setup.

Horseplay

I Don't Care. Do you?
Just preach to him about being smart driving that thing. The torque is there almost immediately. Super easy to get things squirrely real fast. Plus tires ain't cheap!

tarafied1

yes, I have preached that this car can kill him, he doesn't want to be in one of those video's of the knuckleheads losing control being stupid!