• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

2006 Door Panels Delaminating

Midlife

Staff member
Donator
Both of my doors are peeling the fabric insert from the backing. I have no idea why, but I plan on using 3M General Adhesive Trim after carefully masking the plastic door panel and exterior of the fabric. I hope the trim adhesive doesn't burn through the flimsy fabric.

I rarely use the RH door, and don't understand why that one is peeling as well.

Did you leave the windows cracked open in the rain???????? lol

I have seen a bunch of those come apart like that. Had one set on my blue '66 that arrived that way from MU. I used the regular 3M stuff the local upholstery shop donated to me. I think it was the general purpose trim if my memory is.......what are we talking about.

The 3M stuff usually works for that fix. Seems to happen to alot of 05+ Mustangs in hotter areas of the country.
The adhesive crap they used along with the think material dries out quickly in wamer states.

I've had to redo mine twice now. My 06 is probably the biggest piece of $h*% car I've ever had the misfortune of owning. You can use a putty knife that you just put some painters tape over to stuff the lip of the material back into the crevice. I just taped up the area around the actual insert panel and then put a blanket on my lap and laid the material over the blanket, sprayed both sides, let it tack up a bit, and then slowly put it on working out the bubbles. You need to make sure it's pretty tacky when you put it on because of the curve on the panel. It makes the lower section want to come off once you're tucking the lip. Not a hard project by any means, just a pain in the add to have to do on a 5 year old car.

One side worked out well, using your technique, but the other side did not. That other side finally tacked up and stayed put after putting the car out in the hot sun, which kind of surprised me.

I've heard that the Shelby pieces are a little different and don't suffer from this same problem.
I don't know if they match well, but thats another option.

Back