• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

2010 Base Mustang 5 speed starting problem

cpatr3208

I have a 2010 base mustang with the 4.0 L engine and It will NOT engage the starter on occasion. I turn the key with the clutch depressed and the starter will NOT engage. The problem seems to crop up when I have traveled a few miles locally and need to restart the car after it has sat locked and shut down for a short period of time. The other electrical elements in the car work, lights, radio & A/C fan when the key is engaged and in the "on" position. I have replaced the battery and plugged in one of those computer check applications and the reading is " no problems ",........I had it into a repair shop, they had it for two days and the car NEVER acted up for them,.... could it be the switch on the CLUYCH pedal?,. I am at wits end as this problem comes and goes on a whim by the car,.. I can't understand why it is so random????

To clarify, do you mean the starter doesn't turn over at all, or its not engaging the flywheel teeth?

Replacing that switch on the clutch pedal is cheap and doweble by yourself. I would start with that to excluded a simple problem.
I don't know how things work on a 2010 mustang but nowedays everything is computer controlled and therefore such a problem could only be detected by a diagnose computer who can read out the in and outputs of the ecu qnd other electronic boxes.
Look for the starter relais in the fusebox and change it. Maybe thats the problem and also cheap to replace by yourself.
How many miles dies the car has ?

NO power to the starter,. all other electrical works tho,............ NO POWER to the flywheel,..........like I said,. could it be the relay on the clutch pedal???,. I am mystified,............

I would change the clutch switch and starter relais. Pull every relais in the fuse box, one by one and Pay attention to the connectors inner contacts. Maybe there is a slightly heat problem . When the relay for powering the ecu has a connection problem due to heat , you can have this situation. When the relay cools down , the problem goes away. Hope this can help you diagnose the problem better.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A605FN met Tapatalk

Pull the cable off the starter and have someone turn the key to power the starter circuit and see if you have power at the starter motor itself by measuring the voltage on the cable end when the key is turned. While you're down there make sure the cable and connection are in good shape and it is/was tightly connected to the starter.

Starters can act up this way when they get old and/or hot. It's not uncommon for a starter motor to act they way you are describing but you need to do some testing to determine exactly what is happening. If the shop just randomly tried to start the car without driving it and getting things operational warm they would never encounter the problem, if in fact it has to do with starter motor heat soak.

I would change the clutch switch and starter relais. Pull every relais in the fuse box, one by one and Pay attention to the connectors inner contacts. Maybe there is a slightly heat problem . When the relay for powering the ecu has a connection problem due to heat , you can have this situation. When the relay cools down , the problem goes away. Hope this can help you diagnose the problem better.

THX,. I will do THAT TODAY,. hope it works!!!!,.............BUT,.......the clutch switch,. I will TRY to wait for cooler weather to tackle that,..........

0n Terry's advice , you can also attach a wire to the lead that goes to the starter coil . The other end of that wire goes to a testlight. Every time you start the engine , the light has to lit up. If thats not the case, the problem is not the starter but further"upstream" . Its a 2010 mustang , yes ? Will look if I can find an electrical diagram of the starter circuit.

Last edited:
0n Terry's advice , you can also attach a wire to the lead that goes to the starter coil . The other end of that wire goes to a testlight. Every time you start the engine , the light has to lit up. If thats not the case, the problem is not the starter but further"upstream" . Its a 2010 mustang , yes ? Will look if I can find an electrical diagram of the starter circuit.
True enough but all that light will "tell" you is that the ignition system is "telling" the starter to operate. You would still need to verify that actual voltage is being sent to and reaching the starter. Could be a bad starter solenoid or a failing starter and you'd still get that light to illuminate.

Back