• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

2010 Cobra Jet

Here's what the caption said to the video:

"The 2010 Ford Racing Cobra Jet (FR500CJ) runs the quarter-mile in under 10 seconds."

DAMN!

I liked the pics I got in an email from FMS, are those 15" rims they're using? rim sure looks small compared to other new rims. I take it that smaller rims are beneficial for fatter sidewall tires on strip only cars?
Jon

"Jonk67" said:
I liked the pics I got in an email from FMS, are those 15" rims they're using? rim sure looks small compared to other new rims. I take it that smaller rims are beneficial for fatter sidewall tires on strip only cars?
Jon

I'm not a drag expert, but that's what I've been told.
I'm told that a short wall on the rears will almost assuredly cause you to spin since there's essentially no flex.
The sidewall flex with a small wheel takes some of the shock out of dropping the clutch.

In addition, smaller wheels means a smaller moment of inertia to get the wheel/tire rotating. This means more power to the wheels. This is one reason why I won't go to oversize wheels.

Update courtesy of: http://www.selectfords.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=134
-----------------------
Back in June Ford Racing announced plans to produce a 2010 FR500CJ 'Cobra Jet' Mustang to continue the Cobra Jet program for the new refreshed model. The 2009 Cobra Jet model was so well received it sold out all 50 limited edition units before it was produced. I have a feeling Ford Racing is hoping for the same type of situation on this model.

As for the 2010 Cobra Jet it was recently out testing at Milan Dragway in Michigan. To our delight Ford Racing was kind enough to release photos of the 2010 Cobra Jet minus the graphics and finished interior. Under the hood is the same 5.4-liter V-8 from the previous year but this time a 3.4-liter Whipple supercharger sits atop ready to pump out more horses.

We still don't know the exact specifications for the 2010 Cobra Jet but back in June word was a 425 horsepower 5.4-liter V-8 powerplant was standard. To upgrade to an estimated 475 horsepower aluminum block engine was optional. A six-speed manual transmission will be standard for the Cobra Jet but an option to upgrade to a 5-speed Liberty manual transmission or a race prepped automatic trans is available. Also an 8.50et NHRA certified roll cage and lightweight racing brakes will be available as upgrades.

The 2010 Cobra Jet will make it's official debut at the SEMA show in November.

Photos are below along with a video of the 2010 Cobra Jet making a pass down the strip. Notice how loud the car is....oh..yeah.

2010 Cobra Jet Drag Race Video

Now on to the pictures!

ford_100227986_l.jpg

ford_100227998_l.jpg

ford_100227997_l.jpg

ford_100227996_l.jpg

ford_100227995_l.jpg

ford_100227994_l.jpg

ford_100227993_l.jpg

ford_100227992_l.jpg

ford_100227991_l.jpg

ford_100227990_l.jpg

ford_100227989_l.jpg

ford_100227988_l.jpg

ford_100227987_l.jpg

ford_100227999_l.jpg

Below is an image taken by John Calvert's racing team launching a CJ500 at the strip. This really shows the CRAZY potential behind this vehicle!!!!!!! Here is the carticle behind it:

John Calvert continually teased NHRA fans and racers online, especially YouTube viewers, with video clips of testing sessions. The videos never showed completed runs and the car was obviously working really hard on the starting as it left wheels up each and every run. Calvert entered competition with a fully-prepped and tested Cobra Jet, he wasn't looking to just be in the field but rather dominate it. He was one of four entries in Stock Eliminator who drove a Cobra Jet. He was the best of the group and qualified number two in the 84-car field. The performance was nothing short of outstanding as he ran 10.08 on the A/Stick index of 11.25. That put him 1.17 under his index, Stock Eliminator qualifies based on how much quicker (or slower) or your car runs against a given index.

Calvert mowed through 7 rounds of eliminations to reach the pinnacle of a NHRA National Event and write his name in the history books. It was 41 years after the inaugural Cobra Jet debut that Calvert repeated history. Calvert had luck on his side--he broke out with a 10.136 on a 10.14 dial-in while his competitor, Tom Gaynor went red with a -.079 light.

mmfp_090600_04z+2010_ford_FR500CJ_Cobra_Jet+.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back