• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

2013 F-250 hard starting + check engine light, 6.2L V8

Mach1Mark

Ramrod extraordinaire
Donator
I recently solved the issues above. I bought my truck three years used and 15k miles. I got a great deal too. About two years ago the engine began to take quite a bit longer than the 1/2 second it used to take to start. And the check engine light came on with the codes for rich back 1 and rich bank 2. Ive been working the fix it list for the error codes and the next items are expensive to do. I asked my mechanic buddy and he suggested putting a volt meter on the OE battery and if necessary check the specific gravity of the acid. The resting voltage was 5.8 and after checking it twice with another meter I knew I found the problem. I cant believe the engine was even turning over. Installed a new Motorcraft battery and all the problems are solved. Its like driving a new truck again except with 40k miles. Im glad my dad taught me to fix the cheaper thinks first. I was even ready to take it to a reputable mechanic to do the expensive fixes.

Well , as a mechanic for over 30 years , thats hard to believe. I don't say it not true what you said but I think there is something going on there.
I think you masked the problem by changing to a better battery that holds the voltage better but somewhere you have a voltage drop in one or more circuits.
At 5.8 volts , you won't start an engine. I think the starter got its 12 volts but elsewhere is a problem.
I would check every ground strap for corrosion. Min pole from battery to chassis will be ok but check it out by disconnecting it and check for corrosion under the clamp. From chassis to engine/trans also. It will be ok cause you couldn't otherwise start the engine but check it out.
Next is a bit difficult and needs some intel where the other ground straps / connecting point are located.
Maybe ask it on a suitable forum.

Over the years I have had my share of bad electrical connections and the problems that goes with that. !!
Even a bad ignition switch can create multiple faults.

Its very useful to print out the report of all systems , then delete all faults and hit the road again. When the engine light turns on again , print again the report of all the systems and then were are closer to the actual fault.
again , my2cents

You present some valid points for further investigation, I may have to search for a wiring diagram to be able to locate grounds. Im sure the OE battery isnt supposed to be in service eight years. I did check the acid level once or twice a year and added distilled water as required. The check engine light for codes P0172 and P0175 is resolved. Im supposing the O2 sensors werent getting enough voltage to be able to operate/read correctly. For now the hard starting/rich code issue seems resolved. I will pose the question and search on fordtrucks.com for any previous solutions owners found.

There is another error code, B10F1 which is a Key-in circuit open. I wasnt aware of the error until I got my own OBD II code reader late last year. Once I knew about the code, it occurred to me that there is no chime when I leave the key in the ignition and open the door. The chime does occur with the door open when I move the key around in the ignition switch. Thats my next research project.

5.8 volts at the battery and still chranking ??? Question marks all over . my2cents.
Begin with all the groundstraps/points , not only if they are tight but clean. Also with all positive splice point (or how do you call it ) , not only tight but clean aswell.
Because the nut is tight , it doesn't always mean that the cabel lugs are tight together.

5.8 volts at the battery and still chranking ??? Question marks all over . my2cents.
Begin with all the groundstraps/points , not only if they are tight but clean. Also with all positive splice point (or how do you call it ) , not only tight but clean aswell.
Because the nut is tight , it doesn't always mean that the cabel lugs are tight together.
I agree. I was shocked when I saw the reading so I took it again with another meter. Ford built tough I guess. Im just glad I didnt get stranded in eastern Pennsylvania last January when I went there to retrieve my coupe. I was worried I would be stranded. It was cold and snowing as you would expect.

Back