• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

3g alternator pulley

RapidRabbit

Donator
Can I change the alternator pulley on a 3g with the smaller pulley from my stock 5.0 alternator?

I was routing the belt and it is too tight with the larger pulley. is there any problems with this?

Thanks Pete.

That's what I was thinking. It turns out I did have the belt routed wrong before when I thought it was too long. Now its an inch too short because of the larger pulley on the 3g. :shrug

I will go see if I can find a longer belt I guess.

I'm running the alt pulley on my 3g alternator, that was originally on the 2g alternator from the donor mustang. Never had a problem, and I've spun the engine pretty hard a time or two.

Re: 3g alternator pulley

Do you have any pics of the belt routing? I am getting two different versions when I look online. And any idea what size belt? I have a 73 inch now.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

The belt can route different ways depending on the items and the belt tension. I have actually switched the routing on one car and both worked.

I don't know if my belt routing will help ya out much. I'm running a set of march brackets. I have an alt on one side and where the ps goes is an idler pulley. This is what mine looks like this (except for the aluminum pulleys, I'm running a set of BBK steel pulleys): this image is from the marchperformance website.

Attachments

• f50_351a.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 27
Back