• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

4.5 vs 5 leaf mid-eye leaf springs

I am close to the point of needing some leaf springs and I was wondering what everyone's opinions are on this. This is for a '67 Fastback that will see some spirited weekend driving on occasion when I am not driving around town. I am almost certain I want to go with mid-eye springs for a 1" drop. What I am not sure of is if I should use 4.5 leaf or 5 leaf springs. Thoughts?

5 leaf will be stiff as a board for street use. I have 4 1/2's and they're fairly harsh on the street. They soften out at speed on track.

I have 5 leafs. I replaced the springs because there was so much wrap up on heavy acceleration; the 4.5 leaf did not alleviate the situation I had to put in the 5 springs. I think the way Mustangs Plus describes the ride quality is perfect "firm, not jarring." I don't know how much hp you're putting through, but if you're getting any wheel wrap when flooring it then you made need the five leafs like me. However if not, I agree that the fives are stiffer than I would maybe like otherwise and would go with 4.5...

Hmmm, no wheel "wrap" with the 4 1/2 leafs on my 66. I remember the car hopping all over the place before I restored it. It was running old stock springs and lakewood type traction bars back then (early 90's).

I found the 4.5 mids a good ride also w/o hop, ride also depends on shocks you pair them up with.

I went 5 and can def tell a difference. 4.5 allowed my tires to "chirp" the wheel well in dips, 5s took care of that. Not a bad ride though.

Back