• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

4 Pt. Seat Belt Question?

RyanG85

On my 65 restomod, I'm installing a Shelby style roll bar. I was planning on running a 4 pt belt kinda like the 67-8 Shelbys had but I'm running into a problem with the head rests on the seats. I'm running late model mustang seats and would like to keep the head rests intact. Here's a picture of what I'm dealing with.
photobucket-23787-1348172340110_zps55b625f8.jpg

They work well under the head rest like in this picture but probably not too safe that way? I just tacked the belt bracket to the bar and can position it any way. Maybe if it was pointed down with the belts under the rest? Not sure I'm comfortable with it like that though...
photobucket-25671-1348172321548_zpsdb40ec53.jpg

I need to keep the rear seat access clear so adding a cross bar to the roll bar is out of the question. This is strictly going to be a street driven car. I would like a little more safety than a lap belt but don't need a full on certified harness either. I know I could use the roll bar and mount a 3 pt belt but prefer the look of the 4 pt. Any suggestions?

I found this picture of one of Classic Recreations cars and it appears to be the same as I'm doing but the belts are just hanging in the rear of the seat.
1967-Mustang-Fastback-Shelby-GT500-CR-Venom-by-Classic-Recreations_009.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
what about some sort of seat belt guide that can be held in place by the head rest?

Something where the belts are still removable would be ideal. Im thinking like my 03 vert has. You would just need one on each side.

lrs-61007b.jpg

Im sure you could fab something that would go across the seat back and put a loop on each side.

lrs-0304mhva_9943.jpg

I thought about something like that. I've been messing around with setting it up and think I have something that will work. I took off the weld on brackets and undid the mounts from the shoulder harness and just wrapped them around the bar so they are kinda free floating. They seem to fit better and I can keep them under the head rest. If I ever were to get into an accident, the head rest would probably bend but the belts would still keep me from eating the wheel.
photobucket-25542-1348178935034_zps3145f3f0.jpg

I picked these belts up cheap at a swap meet, I'll most likely get some less bulky ones when the car is going back together for the final time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was curious if you can get ones that were long enough to bolt to the floor behind the seat or the seat track. Then just let them come up and over. Of course that would put all the stress on the seat hinge.

"lethal289" said:
I was curious if you can get ones that were long enough to bolt to the floor behind the seat or the seat track. Then just let them come up and over. Of course that would put all the stress on the seat hinge.
I hope you meant to say they need to come up and over the cross-bar. Having your shoulders be the top point of shoulder belts would cause spinal compression in an accident and is to be avoided at all costs.

I see they have them that mount to the rear seat belts if you have no roll bar. The modern seats have a strong enough frame to handle the lower mounting point. At least that is what I read today when searching for info. I'm going to stick with them around the bar and under the head rest.

Back