• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

62 Ford 390

A guys selling a 62 390 Block and crank by me for $150. Seems like a good deal. Are these older 390s good blocks to start an engine build with?

Is there any weakness' with these blocks?

FEs were used by Ford for decades.

Can you check if there are any cracks before buying?

The early blocks have a 2 bolt motor mount bosses cast into them - '65 and later have 3. I believe you can put an early block in a late car, but you'll have to figure out the motor mount situation.

yep I checked it over today. The engines coming with everything but pistons and heads which a PO had sold.

Getting dropped off tmro.

You need to have the correct stock motor plates and rubber isolators for your car. The block plates will need one additional hole each drilled, then it bolts in. One of the block holes is common to both early and late FE engines.
Just make a template for where to drill the holes using a late FE block as a pattern. Late FE blocks have both early and late hole patterns cast in. I ran a 63' 427 in a 67 Mustang long ago.

"sportyworty" said:
You need to have the correct stock motor plates and rubber isolators for your car. The block plates will need one additional hole each drilled, then it bolts in. One of the block holes is common to both early and late FE engines.
Just make a template for where to drill the holes using a late FE block as a pattern. Late FE blocks have both early and late hole patterns cast in. I ran a 63' 427 in a 67 Mustang long ago.

im still not sure if this engine will end up in the stang but if it does Ill make sure to follow your advice. Thanks

Back