• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

65-66 fastback measurements needed

jtfx6552

Before I cut apart the back to end up like the first picture, I took some measurements.

Now that I have it mocked up as in the second picture, I have decided that once again, that I really took the "wrong" measurements.

If anyone could give me the length of the window opening along the centerline of the car, and the length of the trunk opening along the centerline of the car, it would be appreciated.

If you could define where exactly you are measuring from and to, that would help, as there are lots of lips and edges to choose from.

Attachments

• IMG_1863.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 102
  • MockUp.JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 100
The length of the rear fastback glass is 34" including the stainless molding.

16 7/8" from bodyline in front of the trunk lid to the bodyline of the rear valence.

13 3/4" from interior lip to inside of rear valence (this is the length of the opening along the centerline.

Can't give you measurements but I think its best to put on the quarter panel extension on, to achieve a proper alignment of the rear.
Just my 0.02ct opinion.

Get somebody to help you, but test fit the rear glass. You don't want to get it all welded up and have glass that doesn't fit. It would even be better if after you tack weld everything in place, temporarily install the glass with the weatherstrip to make sure everything is good.

Doug

Ok, I'm back to this. My plan was to put the back end together with self tappers, install the rear window and make sure everything fits, then weld it all together.

I really can't clamp the 1/4 panels and roof at the window opening because whatever clamp or screw will get in the way of the weather strip. The panels almost sit flush on the flange so I thought I'd give it a try.

Turns out they aren't quite flush enough, and without a helper to put a little downward pressure on the glass while I pull the string, I can't get the weather strip to pull in.

Laying the molding on, I think the opening looks a little big to me. I'm not really sure though? anyone have a shell with the window out? In addition to Midlife's measurement chrome to chrome, I think knowing the width of the inner lip the window seal goes over might be helpful. also the width at the seam between the 1/4 and the transition panel would help as well.

Pics below:
IMG_2138.jpg

IMG_2143.jpg

IMG_2144.jpg

IMG_2145.jpg

IMG_2146.jpg

IMG_2147.jpg

IMG_2148.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes circa 1981, here are the tags that were on them:
IMG_2002.jpg

IMG_2015.jpg

With some measurements from helpful internet people I think I have it figured out...Hopefully,
Window molding is just sitting in without clips, That is why it sits up a little. Back is just held together with self tappers:
IMG_2190.jpg

IMG_2189.jpg

IMG_2185.jpg

I'm on process of welding the parts on now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back