• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

65-66 Guys, What is this supposed to look like?

jtfx6552

In front of the rear wheel, where the outer wheel house, 1/4 and rocker meet?

I have what I think is part of the rocker wheel flange, that stick up past where the 1/4 would be, and has like a 3/16" hole in it. The metal appears to be double thick, but I don't know if this second thickness is a remnant of another piece welded on the front or the back of the rocker, or maybe it is lead?

I'd like to deal with it before I put on the new wheelhouse and 1/4, I'm just not sure what it is supposed to look like,

Looks like a remnant to me.

A wider field of vision pic might help determine exactly what we are seeing.

Yeah, definitely bad photography on my part, maybe a movie?

I've never uploaded to youtube before, hope this works, I'm talking about the very top hole that is on the rocker lip:
Video

Is that the rocker on the driver's side at the beginning of the wheelhouse?

If so I would hold the new wheel house up to it and see how it fits and go from there.

My car is not torn down in that area, but I could take a pic of the inside of the wheelhouse if that will help.

Mel

Hard to see any detail but here is a photograph of the area you are referring to on Fred.

a6cd8860-2405-30e8.jpg

I will scrape some of that nastyness off tomorrow evening and take a better photograph not using my phone.

"abrahamfh" said:
Hard to see any detail but here is a photograph of the area you are referring to on Fred.

a6cd8860-2405-30e8.jpg

I will scrape some of that nastyness off tomorrow evening and take a better photograph not using my phone.

Yeah!That's the spot. I'd love to see what is under there.

I don't think you'll see the Q-panel itself, as it is behind the rear outer wheel well.

"jtfx6552" said:
Yeah!That's the spot. I'd love to see what is under there.
1st attachment show's mine before I removed poorly done patch
2nd shows it after I cut out the patch, but unfortunately it's also after I cut out the end of the rocker
I took a more comprehensive set of pics of the Pass side, I've attached all I'm allowed to. I'll try to get around to posting up a good set of all I did.
HTH,
Dennis
Edit: In the pics, the flange on the outside edge of the top of the rocker has been cut off because it was rotted, and the holes you see in those flanges are where i drilled out spot welds. The top of the rocker and the bottom of the Qpanel are flanged horizontally and butt together. The inner wheel well has a bubble which should clear those flanges. The repro wheel well I bought didn't fit for shit in that area, though. I ended up cutting it pretty severly to make it fit, and i'm not done with it yet.

"Dennis Harrelson" said:
The inner wheel well has a bubble which should clear those flanges. The repro wheel well I bought didn't fit for shit in that area, though. I ended up cutting it pretty severly to make it fit, and i'm not done with it yet.

For the DS, I have a NOS inner, and a Dynacorn complete inner outer wheelhouse assembly. I think I'm going to ebay the NOS one since the Dynacorn seems to match it pretty well.

I don't know if the Dynacorn outer is correct though? I wish I had a NOS outer to compare it to, lol. The Dynacorn assembly seems to fit OK when I kind of stick it in there, but I haven't tacked it in yet. I haven't tried to fit the new 1/4 over top of it however. If the outer wheel well lip isn't in the correct spot to match the 1/4, how the heck would you even fix that?

If it isn't too hard to explain in text, what was wrong with the one you are trying to install?

I started to test fit my inner outer wheelhouse assembly. I couldn't get the back part to be "in" enough. Even when the inner wheelhouse was up against the trunk floor, the outer wheelhouse was about 1/4" out from the drop off.

I was wondering if the problem was the Dynacorn inner outer assembly, so I test fit the NOS inner I have. I lined a level up with the flange to simulate the outer going down past the drop off, and it was still off. I measured about a 1/4" gap, with the dynacorn it was more like 5/16".

I really don't see how to easily fix this?

Any thoughts?

First pic is the outer flange of the dynacorn about 5/16" gap to the drop down, second pic the NOS inner, 3rd pic NOS inner from the same view as the first pic, with a straight edge to simulate the outer flange, about 1/4" gap this way.

I was afraid you'd ask that. I even took some more pics after I worked on it today, but they didn't come out at all.
The problem with mine was the radius along the flank of the car, but below the quarter, where the outer house should fit inside the end of the rocker.The repro house, when its center flange is set against the center of the inner house as it should be, stuck out beyond where the rocker would go. Not into the wheel well, but out from the flank. When I laid a straight edge along the rocker from the door to the well, the house stuck out at least 1/2 to 3/4 inch. Like a cheap ground effects flare. Really hard to do anything with it at all those compound curves. I ended up cutting the entire flange part of the house from the bubble to the bottom off, so it just butts against the rocker (barely discernable in this pic). Now I have to piece little bits in.
So far I've used repro parts on the battery box area, both cowl ends, the tops of the end panels, right rear wellhouse, right trunk floor and frame rail and the trunk cross member, and the only piece that didn't need cutting and welding to fit has been the x-member.

"jtfx6552" said:
I really don't see how to easily fix this?

Any thoughts?
Maybe try to shrink the inner house along the curve with a shrinking dolly? I never used one, but the only other thing I see is to cut a wedge out, try to push it in where it belongs...it'll show in the trunk, though... as far apart as yours is, maybe you can tweak some other things? Hell, I'm just guessing.

"Dennis Harrelson" said:
I was afraid you'd ask that. I even took some more pics after I worked on it today, but they didn't come out at all.
The problem with mine was the radius along the flank of the car, but below the quarter, where the outer house should fit inside the end of the rocker.The repro house, when its center flange is set against the center of the inner house as it should be, stuck out beyond where the rocker would go. Not into the wheel well, but out from the flank. When I laid a straight edge along the rocker from the door to the well, the house stuck out at least 1/2 to 3/4 inch. Like a cheap ground effects flare. Really hard to do anything with it at all those compound curves. I ended up cutting the entire flange part of the house from the bubble to the bottom off, so it just butts against the rocker (barely discernable in this pic). Now I have to piece little bits in.
So far I've used repro parts on the battery box area, both cowl ends, the tops of the end panels, right rear wellhouse, right trunk floor and frame rail and the trunk cross member, and the only piece that didn't need cutting and welding to fit has been the x-member.

Ah, I see. Sounds like you got it under control. It would be nice if this stuff actually fit together.

"Dennis Harrelson" said:
Maybe try to shrink the inner house along the curve with a shrinking dolly? I never used one, but the only other thing I see is to cut a wedge out, try to push it in where it belongs...it'll show in the trunk, though... as far apart as yours is, maybe you can tweak some other things? Hell, I'm just guessing.

When I was young, I got into a lot of trouble trying to fix everything with a BFH, well not literally, but you know what I mean. Because of that. I'm somewhat reluctant to pick up the hammer even when it is called for.

I don't have a shrinking dolly, but I had one that was curved, so I kind of beat the concave flange of the trunk floor in, reasoning that it is hidden behind the wheelhouse never to be seen. By doing that, and by laying a piece of "two by" along the flange of the wheelhouse assembly while it was up against my newly beat in trunk floor flange, and beating on the two by with the BFH, I was able to adjust it to a point where I think it will be ok.

It really came out pretty good, neither area even looks "beat on".

Added two videos:

IMG 1663

IMG 1664

Off the topic but Dennis,what are those black steel rims from? they look like something i might be interested in.They look like crown Vic wheels.
Thanks,
Bob

Back