• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

65 Deluxe interior door panel / door latch handle clearance.

Always something...

After 12 months of interior restoration on my 65 Conv, it is getting close to being done. Summer in Seattle is near, and driving on the first sunny spring day is my goal..

So here is my latest issue.

I am "upgrading" my interior from standard to deluxe. I have replaced the door handle and mechanism from the standard to deluxe configuration. The longer stem is to allow proper clearance with the thicker interior door panel.

I installed my passenger door panel, but the stem still doesn't seem long enough. I actually needed to push the pistol grip door handle a bit to get the retaining screw to start, with the screw about half way installed, these is a significant compression of the door panel. The handle does not easily operate, and doesn't return to the normal position after the door opens.

Obviously something is wrong. I do have the escutcheon and plastic "washer" installed.

Anyone have any ideas? I am thinking the "deluxe" stems are too short, although they are longer than the ones I removed.

Thanks

I believe the door and window crank assemblies are different for standard and pony interiors, due to the thicker door panels.

I had the same problem. Car came with deluxe interior, but the stem seemed too short and the handle would not stay on properly. I ordered repop mechanism for deluxe interior thinking it had the shorter standard one, took the door apart and replaced. It was still too short!! WTH!! Looked and they were the same length. I finally ended up taking the pistol grip handles to a shop and had them milled down until the screw would hold it properly. Looks normal and works a whole lot better now. Finding an original mechanism would also probably solve the problem.

If I recall correctly, both the handles and "stems" were Scott Drake brand. The interior panel was an "official" Ford reproduction. I am beginning to think someone out there hates me by giving me these time killing repop parts that must be worked and reworked.

Does anyone out there have the abilitiy to measure the length of the "deluxe" stem. Ill measure mine tonight.

Henry

Looking at the NPD catalog, the door internal mechanisms aren't listed for standard and pony, but the door handles are (as are window cranks). Are you using the pony interior handles?

NPD lists a short shaft (std) and a long shaft (deluxe) Remote Control, door latch.

See P/N 21818-1A & 21819-1B (std LH/RH) and 21818-2A & 21819-2B (deluxe LH/RH).

I have the long shaft remotes (I believe) and pony handles. I'm just wanting to make sure the remote controls I have are indeed the long ones and are the full length needed.

Henry

Hmmm.

I had considered going with the deluxe door panels, but using the standard door handles. Personal preference, I prefer the std handles to the deluxe pistol-grip style...I hadn't thought about the thickness factor, and of them using different internal parts.

I wonder if the standard door handle, and stem from the standard mechanism have enough bite to make it through. As I recall, in the deluxe setup, the handle goes over the splines external to the door panel, whereas on the standard, there is spline engagement beneath the door panel.

This thread might have thrown a wrench in some of my plans.

IIRC, I ordered the deluxe (long shaft) from NPD, and they were Scott Drakes. It's been a few years though. If so, then they did not work well for me. The Pony handles were also repop, so I am not sure if the problem was with the stems or the handles. I think when I compared the old and new stems side by side, they were the same, so I am betting the problem is with the repop handles. I'll take another look and see if I can get some measurements.

Sorry to be so late. My car is in storage for winter, but I have a measurement for you now. The body of the mechanism where the stem comes out has a slight flange on it. From the edge of the flange to the end of the stem is 1 and 5/16ths of an inch long. I do not have the plastic washer installed. Hope this helps.

"Redvert" said:
Sorry to be so late. My car is in storage for winter, but I have a measurement for you now. The body of the mechanism where the stem comes out has a slight flange on it. From the edge of the flange to the end of the stem is 1 and 5/16ths of an inch long. I do not have the plastic washer installed. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the measurement. I will be working on the car tomorrow and will compare then.

Back