• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

65 ENGINE HARNESS ISSUE

SkidMark

I'm nearly done with the wiring in my sons 65 fastback, but am now stumped. The 65 Electrical assy manual shows 3 wires, coil (red w/green str), temp sender (red w/white str), and oil sender (white w/red str). My harness has 4 wires, red, green, red w/white str (temp sender?), and white w/red str (oil sender?). What are the red and the green wires?? Does one feed the coil? What would the other feed?

Is this a 64.5 Mustang or harness? For 64.5, there was a green wire for the brake switch, located inside the engine compartment. Look carefully at the red wire for any color traces: it should be red/green. With age, the color trace is very hard to see at times.

Hey Mid, tried calling you about this earlier today, musta been "busy"....not a 64.5, the red and green wires are pretty large also. They are both kind of together with just a few inches sticking out, so they must terminate near each other. I need to buy an alternator harness, so I think I will replace this one also instead of screwing around with it.

I'm guessing that the two largish wires are really yellow and brown or orange and yellow (depending upon early or late 65. Are you possibly color-blind?) that end up in female bullet plugs? If so, they might be the leads to the heater blower motor. Pictures would be most beneficial.

My number on the website is at home and of course, I'm at the office. Leave a number on the answering machine and I'll call you back.

and if you leave a message sounding like a sheep, you will be assured of a call back :thu

Baaa. Turnout to be 64.5 gauge harness with a 65 main harness.

Took a closer look at the harness tonight.....boy do I feel stupid.....Randy asked me if the harness was wrapped, I told him yes, he asked if the tape was sticky, I said yes, he said Ford tape wasnt sticky and that someone had modified it. They did a nice job, it looked factory. So, I look at it tonight and immediately knew something wasnt right. I pulled some of the tape off further up the harness and found the red w/blue stripe wire. Someone cut the 90 connector off the end and spliced in 2 wires, one green and one red with 90 connectors on the ends, one for the coil and one for ???? So it is the correct 65 harness and I could use it, but I already ordered a new one, why mess with nearly 50 yr old wiring. Another mystery solved.....thanks guys.....

Back