• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

'65 Mustang--Radio Noise through CAS USA-66

I recently installed a Custom Autosound USA-66 in my '65 Mustang. The USA-66 replaced a Custom Autosound unit from the late 1980s that came with the car when I bought it. After getting used to the new radio, I've noticed that I'm picking up a LOT of engine noise, especially when set on the radio/tuner and IPOD functions. Basically, there's a loud, high-pitched whine coming through the speakers. It varies according to engine RPM--basically, it's like having an audible tachometer. When the engine revves up, the noise goes up in pitch.

Now, a little background: the car does have a '91 5.0L. The computer is up under the dash, behind the glovebox, along with several relays and a separate fuse box controlling the EFI stuff. However, I ran this engine combo for quite a while with the older Custom Autosound radio, and I had no problems with interference, so I feel confident that it's something involving the newer radio.

What am I missing?

I have the same unit. I've always had problems with reception and static (which was not unexpected with all the bad posts I had read before buying it). I use it strictly with my IPod which works pretty well.

Alternator whine is almost always caused by poor or improper grounding. First, Where is the stereo grounded? All wiring grounds should originate from the same point. Isolate the shafts on the radio with rubber tubing and rubber washers. if it's still there, disconnect the antenna. It provides a different ground path. Try taking the radio out and laying it on the tranny hump w/antenna disconected. If good,back up one step at a time to find the source of the problem. Chokes and filters are just cover ups for another problem but sometimes they work.

The radio ground wire is currently (haha, no pun intended) grounded to the metal dash. It's grounded behind one of the ashtray mounting screws.

Back