• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

66 Convertible respray

phil k

This car came to me over one year ago straight from the U.S. The owner imported the car unfinished and needing only minor work before the road trip it was to take. Unfortunately the car arrived with no brakes, the 3 speed manual transmission was locked solid and the bell housing didn't even fit the engine, the engine that was apparently a good runner was seized solid, there was no cooling pipes or exhaust on the car and the convertible top was torn in half.

it was then that i discovered the road trip was booked for 5 weeks time and the car would be driving around Europe. Cutting it fine we replaced the engine and transmission, made a stainless exhaust system for the car and sorted some brakes out to hopefully get them by for the trip. We finished late on the Friday and the car left for Europe that weekend and didn't miss a beat barring some very weak rear springs which struggled with 4 men and their bags and overheating drum brakes on the Stelvio Pass.

Anyway the car came back recently for some upgrades and a respray. Since it's arrival we've fitted a power rack and pinion kit, front disc brakes, new suspension front and rear, a new power top was fitted and finally the bare metal respray which is nearing completion. The panels and buckets etc were removed and replaced a couple of weeks ago for the shuts to be painted in order to keep the paint hanging on the panels in the same direction.

Personally I love the colour and can't wait to see it in the sun (fingers crossed) after it's had the stripes painted and has been wet sanded.

Phil

Time-lapse video of the first coat being applied.

The car finally received the stripes today. Tomorrow we'll remove the masking and then Dick can finish wet sanding the car before it's polished. From some angles the stripes can't be seen but from others are very apparent which is the effect I was trying to achieve, the small specks of dust will polish out when the paint is wet sanded, very happy.

Phil

Back