• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

'66 ENgine info...

AzPete

Just talked to the PO about the 302 in our '66. It has Kieth Black pistons, bored 30 over, and has a 520/292 cam (non roller) with a Holley 600 vac. sec. on top of a Victor Junior intake. Tranny has a shift kit with a 3000 rpm stall converter. It also has a Wells brand elec. ign. on it. It now has 500+ miles on it and is running better each day. Got the idle in neutral down to 1000 with the idle in drive at 700-850 depending on which lope of the cam hits. Sure is a blast on the street. Still need to find a low cost but good 3rd member to stop the noise. Been wondering if a 1" spacer would do any good under the carb.

A spacer is almost always a good idea, for heat insulation if nothing else. I believe the Vic Jr is a single plane, so a nice open spacer should work fine for you. Phenolic would be the best option, but anything's better than nothing.

I'm not sure, but a spacer with a Vic Junior won't clear a standard hood. Good thing you have a scoop...

You'd probably enjoy it more with a Performer RPM intake. You didn't mention, so I'm assuming stock heads? A Victor Jr has a 3500-8000 rpm powerband, which makes that intake a huge mismatch for your motor. The converter helps to disguise that, but you'd pick up quite a bit of low end swapping intakes.

Hmmmmm, more future mods. Used the Weiand Stealth on my last 302. Might try one of those again. I liked the rear water crossover plus a rear heater hose hookup.

Back