• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

'66 wiper changes

AzPete

Sorry......took no pics so you just have to imagine.....

I picked up the $70 wiper switch from NPD. It is designed to plug and play in place of the original AND provide intermittent wipers. Install was ok. The switch does not look like the original behind the dash. The original mounting hardware and knob are used. The switch it self is a black box with the post for the knob. From this, there are 5 wires to a plug plus a separate ground. The plug does not fit tight so we adjusted the pins for a snug fit. The ground is designed for a screw thru the lug. We installed a new bullet plug and attached it to the white ground wire that was not used in the original plug. I have an aftermarket cheap washer pump with a single wire to the switch. It plugged into the remaining open pin on the new switch plug.

The test of the function proved a bit disappointing at first. The wipers worked good. First click is a long (15 sec) delay between swipes. rotating to the right shortens the delay to just a slight hesitation at park. Then there is the next click to full on. Mine are one speed wipers. The switch has another position for the second speed which does nothing for mine (wipers still run here) and does not have the wire required for the second speed.

The washer was a flop at first. The switch is designed to push for wash while in any run position. We found the great Chinese construction was a bit off and had to squeeze the black box together to get the washer to function. We took the black box apart and adjusted two tabs inside for proper function.

Now.....it works great and I am satisfied with the money spent. My switch had been held together with duct tape while I waited to purchase this switch.

As an update.....I drove it in light to moderate rain today and all seemed to work well. I am very pleased.

Forgot to mention......This was done in Midlife's shanty while he consumed the beer.......

My car has the one speed motor and now with 15-2 sec intermittent action. They have them for several applications...I believe on page 166.

Tested this in light to heavy rain recently. Works wonderful. If you have a driver and it see the rain, this would be a worth while improvement.

Back