• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

67/68 Rear Interior Panels Installation Order?

garner67

Ok, I think I'm done trimming/fitting/trimming/refitting my rear interior panels around the roll bar as well as running all the electrical wiring. So now I'm ready to do the final panel install. However, it's been so long since I took it all apart, I can't remember what order everything was disassembled.

Can y'all give me some guidance on what order should I install my rear interior panels on a 67 fastback?

Do I start with the rear trap door panel, narrow upper rear panel, corners... then move to the side panels, or the other way around?

thanks.

Trap door should go in last as far as lower panels since the two corners go behind the trap door. I cant remember if the rear corners go in before the big side panels, you can tell by looking at the edges since they are recessed on one or the other. The inner vent assemblies should go in first and then lower then upper panels then the trim moldings.

You stated that your wiring is "done", but have you tested it to ensure that all rear lights work as they should?

It's easy to fish wires through the rear area with the panels removed, not so easy with the panels installed. I've installed the rear panels several times only to create more work for myself later when I had to "play" with the rear wiring.

That is a good call Dave. And by rear lights, Dave doesn't just mean taillights/trunk area, but interior lights too. Go ahead and plug in your interior courtesy lights and make sure they work. Since the main panels pretty much go on first in that area, if you figure out after the fact that you have a bad ground for example, you will need to pull everything back out again, and I mean everything, to get to the grounding pigtail to fix it.

Thanks for the tips, guys.

Yes, I spent last week wiring and testing all the interior courtesy lights. I even made additional ground leads for the interior lighting. However, I did not check the trunk light. I might as well install and check that before installing all the panels.

Back