• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

67-68 taillights

ko67

Can someone post a picture of how the tail lights of a 67-68 vert/coupe are mounted? My PO has them attached with gawdawfully long bolts that have heads that stick into the trunk 3/4 inch and the wiring is all loose and sloppy. I would just like to see an example of the mounting and wiring done right.

Thats how they all mount, even FB's....... The bolts are like 3-4" long. The wire should not be a mess, there are tabs under the upper lip that hold the harness out of the way.

The bolts are like 3-4" long.

Calling them bolts insinuates they can be installed with a wrench. I'd call them "threaded studs".

Yes, they are longer than necessary. Why? I have no idea why Ford would do this, but they did at some plants install little hard rubber "plugs" onto the ends of the studs to "dress" the ends of the studs.

"daveSanborn" said:
Calling them bolts insinuates they can be installed with a wrench. I'd call them "threaded studs".

I just kept them as bolts since thats what Kev called them, I didnt want to confuse him....

Speaking of these "studs".... are they in reproduction yet? I remember for a time they weren't and I hoarded everyone I could get my hands on.

"daveSanborn" said:
Speaking of these "studs".... are they in reproduction yet? I remember for a time they weren't and I hoarded everyone I could get my hands on.

Hmmm...I'll file that away for future reference. :)

To the OP, my wires are kind of messy coming off of the back of the lights. Might be normal.

Frank

ABInside07.jpg

You can see at least one of the long studs in this picture. These were factory

Interesting. When I purchased new tail light housings, the threaded studs were included. However, the length was considerably shorter. I barely had enough thread showing to get the nut started, but it snugged up nicely, with only about 1/4-1/2" of thread showing after all tightened.

Thanks, all. Is there any practical reason for the long studs past the nuts? "It seems like once it is all the way in, anything that sticks out past the nuts is a waste." (there's a quote for the day) My car is far from concours correct, so any reason not to trim these studs back nearer the nuts for a neater look?

Man I also try to save those studs every time I find them. They are also used on the finned tail panel.

I looked again and on my car they are actually bolts/screws with heads and all. I am going to cut off the screws near the nuts

Back