• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

67 8K Tach (Christmas present to myself)

tarafied1

so several years ago I put a 67 Cougar tach in my standard cluster. I got the Cougar tach and instrument panel pretty cheap on eBay. Of course the Cougar and Mustang gauges do not match, so I found a white face overlay kit and painted the gauges, then put on the decals.
John gave me a 140 MPH speedo from the Tachman done in the whiteface with no decals. Nice Speedo. So I decided to get my 67 Tach redone. He changed it to a three wire setup and 8K from 6K and calibrated it. He sent me some pics and will ship it in the morning!Picture 004.jpg Picture 001.jpg Picture 002.jpg Picture 003.jpg

can't wait to get it installed! Scheduled delivery is Monday and I am in Florida visiting my dad for Christmas. I guess I can wait...

got home tonight, after unpacking and having dinner I put the tach in the cluster. Will have to wait until tomorrow to wire it up. It has been converted to a three wire (like a typical aftermarket tach). IMG_3054.jpg

The cluster looks great! My tachs from tachman worked great. After a year, one of them jumps around some (It could be an issue with the car).

The cluster looks great! My tachs from tachman worked great. After a year, one of them jumps around some (It could be an issue with the car).

thanks for the speedo again John, that inspired me to get the tach converted, repaired!

by the way, I added LED lights to the instrument cluster too.
IMG_3058.jpg

Last edited:
Uhhh...there is no RUN-only hot lead on a standard fuse box until the 1970 Mustang. I take it you have an aftermarket wiring harness?

Uhhh...there is no RUN-only hot lead on a standard fuse box until the 1970 Mustang. I take it you have an aftermarket wiring harness?
nope, but I found a connection that is only hot when the key is on... I think it's the heater fuse.

[ur
129234d1304358481-no-power-dash-will-not-start-67-fuse-box.jpg

Sorry, but that fuse is hot whenever the key is in ACC or RUN. All fuses except the 2.5 amp dash lamp fuse should read at least 11.5V when energized.

Sorry, but that fuse is hot whenever the key is in ACC or RUN. All fuses except the 2.5 amp dash lamp fuse should read at least 11.5V when energized.
is that a problem? Will it hurt the Tach if the key is in ACC? and/or is there a source for run only on a 67?

Last edited:
I don't know if it will hurt the tach, but I wouldn't spend too much time with the key in ACC regardless.
For a 1967, you can tap into the green/red wire coming out of the ignition, and a red/yellow wire that goes to the dash cluster connector.

Back