• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

'67 Mustang resto-mod on Barrett Jackson.

RagTop

Old Grumpy
I was watching Barrett Jackson last night and a resto-mod '67 fastback with some nifty wheels and nice exterior paint went for $60K. They mentioned it was a C code that had been retrofitted with a 4V carb/manifold, but it was the original 289. The BJ idiot that was the Mustang "expert" also noted that the '65-'66s were Falcon based but the '67 forward were built on the Fairlane platform. I think I'm forced to call BS on that. The wheel base and the floor pan of the '65-'70 were essentially the same. Maybe the big '71-'73 banana boats were based on the Fairlane, but the earlier first gen cars were all Falcon based.

The frame rails are exactly the same from 65 to 70. I had a 65 that I put 68 shock towers and suspension on for more room. The shock towers and suspension move the track wider for a big block. They basically rounded the fenders (looking down the side) to allow for the wider track. The rocker panels are even the same spacing allowing the same full floor pans. 67 did have some unique strut rods and LCA's but basically the 67 and up aprons, core support, shock towers, etc. were designed for the 67 and up Mustang and while some parts such as spindles and steering gearboxes interchange, they were not Fairlanes. The 65 I did was wrecked and rusted. I cut the frame rails around the shock towers and put on a 68 clip from a wrecked doner car. I used 65 aprons and core support. The front end all bolted up. I had to use 68 suspension, gearbox, UCA's, LCA's etc. but with the right offset wheels it wouldn't be noticeable that the track was wider. My plan was to put a 390 in and make it look "factory" but I had a guy wanting to buy it before I finished it.
cutting out tower.JPG 68 front clip.jpg 68 front clip mocked up.jpg 9-25-14 left front apron D.JPG 9-26-14 left front apron and core.jpg

here is a couple pics of the 65 back half and 68 front have before I actually welded it together. I sectioned both inner and outer in differnet spots and welded in support plates but for this point, the 68 front clip with shock towers slid right onto the 65 existing front frame. I kept the original rear aprons and used repop front aprons which required some trimming but it all went together.
IMG_1148.jpg IMG_1149.jpg

Back