• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

67 S Code Fastback

Darren390

Hi guys, my first post so a quick introduction. My name is Darren and I am based in England and I am currently restoring a 67 390 fastback. I imported the car into the UK from Ohio in 2004 and am nearing the end of the restoration I started in late 2009. I used the car for the first few years of ownership, but I wasnt happy with a number of things so a full engine rebuild, all new front end, new spray job and interior retrim have followed. I'm now in the process of putting things back on rather than taking them off :thu

The car itself is a genuine GTA, with C6 and deluxe interior / exterior. I have the Marti Report and she was built in Dearborn and originally went to Kansas City. When I purchased her in 2004 she was finished in Chrome Yellow, although the original colour was Vintage Burgundy.

Anyway, here's a few pics of the work done so far -

This first pic is how she looked before the restoration. Looks great but she had some hidden horrors waiting for me!
_K3C0869.jpg

The intial front end strip down
DSCF4086.jpg

DSCF4087.jpg

The first idea of problems was when the 390 wouldnt leave the engine bay. More of that in a second, here's the 390 being rebuilt.
SANY0045.jpg

SANY0050.jpg

SANY0129.jpg

SANY0179.jpg

SANY0183.jpg

The front shock towers has sagged and was a bit like a patch work quilt at the bottom with all the repair panels. It was decided to replace the front end completely for peace of mind.
SANY0290.jpg

SANY0296.jpg

SANY0319.jpg

SANY0356.jpg

Engine and Mustang back together again!
SANY0153.jpg

All new front suspension and brakes were fitted at his time
SANY0235.jpg

Next job was off for a fresh coat of paint. I wanted her to look very close to original so decided on a Fiat colour, very close to Vintage Burgundy.
DSCF0594.jpg

DSCF0597.jpg

DSCF0598.jpg

DSCF0604.jpg

DSCF0611.jpg

DSCF0615.jpg

DSCF0656.jpg

The last few weeks has seen me detailing the engine bay with decals and factory markings.
DSCF0652.jpg

DSCF0654.jpg

DSCF0657.jpg

I'll keep the pics coming as things progress. The new styled steel wheels will be here in the next week or so, and then the rest of the exterior trim can go on. The final job will be the interior retrim.

Regards
Darren

Beautiful car and beautiful work!

What did you do with the original VIN stampings in the aprons?

Thanks guys :thu

Managed to get a few hours on the 67 today, and got most of the rear exterior trim is on. I've ordered a new rear bumper which wont be here for a little while yet, but its great to be putting some shiney bits on eventually :)

DSCF0669.jpg

DSCF0670.jpg

Its been a long time coming, but the exterior is almost finished, other than a few trim bits to fit. Then onto the interior and hopefully then back behind the wheel :yah After being transported on a trailer last December and sitting in the garage for 7 months, she was covered in grime and dust, so I gave her the first wash and polish since the respray earlier today. Here's a few pics now she is all nice and shiny:)

DSCF6301.jpg

DSCF6302.jpg

DSCF6305.jpg

DSCF6306.jpg

DSCF6309.jpg

Back