• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

68 Collapsable Steering Column

garner67

I've been looking for a 68 collapsable steering column to replace my solid shaft 67 column.

I occasionally see the 68 columns on eBay, but it's hard to tell if those columns are complete. I'm wondering about the electrical wire routing on the 68 columns. Do the wires route through the column housing like the 67 columns, or do the wire route along the outside of the column housing. If the wires route outside the column housing should there be some sort of cover that attaches to the column housing to keep the wires in place?

Outside and there is a short cover. Below is the best picture I have.

ABInside02.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That answers my question. It seems that most people selling the 68 columns don't have the small short cover.

thanks.

not that it is a big deal but for some reason Ford switched the male/female turn signal switch plugs from 67 to 68 so a 68 won't directly plug into a 67. The wires are all the same and the colors too so you could swap the plug ends or the whole switch. Just a heads up for ya.

As Craig said the wiring is pretty easy, just need to splice on your '67 pigtail, colors/shades are the same.

I just did this swap recently and luckily got a '68 column with the sleeve for the column (it's just plastic soft tubing), 2pc. dash mount and 2pc. floor mount plate.

Are you going to swap to a '68 gearbox also? Don't forget that you'll need the short shaft gearbox w/rag joint and in '69 I believe they switched to a 1.125 output shaft for the pitman arm vs. 1" in '67.

I sent my '67 long shaft box to Randy @Stangerssite and a '69 fleabay box and had him swap the short shaft into my '67 box so I'd have the right pitman shaft, also my original box was in excellent cond. I think I spent <$300 on the whole conversion (column, box rebuild, fleabay parts) and Randy credited me the '69 box parts he kept. It took a few months as Randy's not fast but my engine was out anyway.

IMG_0525.jpg

Haven't cleaned up the interior wiring yet but you can see the sleeve and 2pc. dash mount:
IMG_0528.jpg

Pretty easy swap and I'm happy, especially since I priced changing to the FR or Ididit at ~$1K with all the parts you need.
Jon

&quot;Jonk67&quot; said:
I just did this swap recently and luckily got a '68 column with the sleeve for the column (it's just plastic soft tubing), ...

IMG_0525.jpg
It is more than just the plastic tubing. There is a metal channel that mounts under the column between the steering wheel collar and the black collapsible piece. You can see the slots in your picture where it mounts. You can kind of see it in my picture (i do not have the black tube on mine ( I forgot it until I had the connector on the new harness.).

You're right, never knew I was missing that metal channel to hold the wire bundle tight to the bottom of the column. I may just run a zip tie through the holes and around the wire sleeve or fab a metal metal channel and paint it to match.
Thanks, Jon

I just happen to have another one of these sitting in a box, it is yours if you want it.

test%20107.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
For those reading this who want to do this conversion, a note of caution on buying a used 68 column. Underneath the hard black ribbed plastic is the metal tubing that was cut lengthwise to the tube and bent accordian style. My original column would never bolt tight and wobbled and I never knew why until I took it apart. A few of the those metal "strips" had broken and I couldn't tell by looking at it because they are covered by the plastic. So point is, make sure the accordian section of the tube is solid if you are buying at a swap meet or parts yard. Ebay will be a crap shoot if the seller doesn't know to check that.

&quot;sigtauenus&quot; said:
For those reading this who want to do this conversion, a note of caution on buying a used 68 column. Underneath the hard black ribbed plastic is the metal tubing that was cut lengthwise to the tube and bent accordian style. My original column would never bolt tight and wobbled and I never knew why until I took it apart. A few of the those metal "strips" had broken and I couldn't tell by looking at it because they are covered by the plastic. So point is, make sure the accordian section of the tube is solid if you are buying at a swap meet or parts yard. Ebay will be a crap shoot if the seller doesn't know to check that.

Good to know. Thanks for the heads up.

Back