• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

`68 front suspension kit?

Joni

Does anybody recognize this front kit? Best bet is that it was sold 10 to 15 years ago. It`s never been driven and last guy lost brake calipers, brackets, hardware...

I`d like to get this back together but don't know where to start?

Tänx

Attachments

• IMG_0024.jpg
    IMG_0024.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 35
Don't remember seeing anything like this.
Seems to me like something homebuilt by watching how the LCA looks like and the way the upper mount of the shock is.

More pics, please. I don't recognize it as a kit I have ever seen either. I'd like to see more pics and a video of it being moved throughout its range of motion too. If it is a home-built set-up I'd want to make sure the geometry of all is good before I'd trust it. Not that it looks hokey or anything from what I can see in that lone pic.

If that is a stock spindle you can likely find lots of caliper brackets and calipers you could use.

Does anybody recognize this front kit? Best bet is that it was sold 10 to 15 years ago. It`s never been driven and last guy lost brake calipers, brackets, hardware...

I`d like to get this back together but don't know where to start?

Tänx

Junk those lower control arms. The strut rod should be solidly mounted to the lower control arm to form a solid "A"structure. The only pivot points should be at the frame mounts. That pivot point at the lower arm makes no sense.

The open ends of the control arm tubes do make them look a bit amateurish.

I vaguely recall a coil over setup that mounted the shock low in the tower ... but so long ago and don't remember details.

724A9AE4-A7FD-4A2D-B27C-9EBBDA634285.jpeg 7648C424-531E-4033-9693-26D8E92BFAEF.jpeg 8BF9D01B-6060-4E01-B645-DEE89DAAC44B.jpeg E3A446EC-4A0D-42A6-9F38-B147E576F914.jpeg
More pics, please. I don't recognize it as a kit I have ever seen either. I'd like to see more pics and a video of it being moved throughout its range of motion too. If it is a home-built set-up I'd want to make sure the geometry of all is good before I'd trust it. Not that it looks hokey or anything from what I can see in that lone pic.

If that is a stock spindle you can likely find lots of caliper brackets and calipers you could use.

View attachment 31750 View attachment 31751 View attachment 31752 View attachment 31753

And therein lies the problem with all these "restomods". Where are you going to find parts in the future when these companies are long gone? And what parts are they? Who made them? Stock parts will always be available.

Careful there, Mark. Suzuki, Saturn and Pontiac owners might want a word with you. :D

It really depends on the modification and the supplier. I have little worry, for example, that Wilwood will be gone before I am. Same for many of the big name guys. It's those small outfits that show up on E-Bay that come and go you have to think about. Then again, look at the example of the OP's set-up. Worse case he has to go a new route. Most aftermarket stuff is designed to bolt in in stock chassis without modification. You can always go back. It's only money! lol

Another issue with the lower control arm is the ball joint attachment. Since the vehicle load is now transmitted to the lower control arm, you should have ball joints that are captured within the arm, and not relying on two bolts in tension to hold your car up. Additionally, the stamped steel flange is likely to deform since it is not designed to retain that sort of load. Usually stamped steel enclosed ball joints are not used when there is a vertical load on the joint. Certainly not in tension.

Before we make any suggestions on suspension, what is the goal with this car? Be realistic. Unless you will be regularly tracking it setting it up with a costly race inspired kit is money wasted.

Yeah, I'm impatient.

A "modernized" stock suspension makes these cars as good as a new car in terms of driver feel and car capability. Roller spring perches are a must. I highly recommend rollerized lower arms and uppers if in the budget. Adjustable strut rods complete the system. John at Opentracker can set you up with all or there are other sources for stuff like Shawn at Street or Track. If handy, you can also mod the arms yourself with parts you source or kits from other sources.

If you do want to build an actual competition level ride, Shawn has some awesome stuff you need to look at. Chase has a build thread going right now where he is using his stuff.

I Dont do track just sunday morning twisties. Maby quarter mile against the clock ones or twice. I’ll look up the opentracker, thanks!

Back